At WSP, you’ll find yourself challenged in more fascinating and far-reaching ways than ever before. You’ll explore new and inspiring opportunities to make the most of your expertise, broaden your professional horizons and create exciting new possibilities for people, organisations and society in general.
WSP has a large, highly experienced and friendly Ecology team who get involved with a diverse range of interesting projects across a number of sectors within the UK for both private and public sector clients. In addition to working on UK projects, there are also opportunities to work internationally if desired. The team pride themselves on the integrated support offered by working alongside our in-house water, landscape, arboriculture and sustainability specialists to deliver commercially balanced, innovative and integrated solutions.
Due to a growing workload we are looking to appoint a Senior Grade Ecologist into our Cambridge Ecology team to support the growing workload.
A typical week would include:
- Planning and undertaking ecology surveys including Extended Phase 1 habitat surveys and protected species surveys. Next year there will be opportunities to get involved with a range of surveys including: bat radiotracking surveys, bird surveys and a range of aquatic surveys.
- Preparation of tenders and a range of ecological deliverables including; Preliminary Ecological Appraisals, Ecology Chapters, Ecological Management Plans and Reports to support Habitats Regulation Assessments
- Client liaison and project management
- Consultation and negotiation with regulators and stakeholders
- WSP offer fantastic training opportunities both internally and externally allowing you to develop your career as a professional ecologist in a supportive environment.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- An appropriate academic qualification in a related discipline and are member of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management
- Experience in ecological consultancy having already developed your core field and reporting skills and are now ready for the next step in your career
- Experience in extended Phase 1 habitat survey along with expertise in protected species surveys and, preferably, a holder of at least one European protected species survey licence
- The ability to take a lead role in undertaking protected species surveys and communicate the requirements to other team members
- Comprehensive knowledge of relevant wildlife legislation and ecological survey methodologies
- Experience in delivering EcIA and knowledge of HRA
What if we can?
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy – we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
A little about us
WSP is one of the world’s leading engineering professional services firms providing technical consultancy to the built and natural environment. We believe that for societies to thrive, we must all hold ourselves accountable for tomorrow. For us, that means creating innovative solutions to the challenges the future will bring to the communities and environments where we live and work across the UK.
We are locally dedicated and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors, including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, programme and construction management professionals. Our experts design lasting solutions in the property & buildings, transportation & infrastructure, environment, industry, resources (including mining, and oil & gas) and power & energy sectors as well as project delivery and strategic consulting services. And safety and sustainability are embedded in everything that we do.
Check out www.wsp.com for more info about the great work we do.