SLR has an excellent opportunity for an experienced ecologist/biodiversity professional to join our International team and play a role in undertaking and delivering a diverse range of interesting projects. This role presents an exciting opportunity to be involved in the delivery of some large international ESIA projects, which now represent an increasingly large proportion of our work.
We have a real passion for what we do and due to continued commercial success generating a healthy workbook, we have therefore created a great opportunity for an experienced ecologist to become part of the SLR team.
As a forward-thinking consultancy with ambitious growth plans and listed in The Times’ top 100 “One To watch”; SLR is a truly global consultancy and offers significant potential for career development and enhancement based on performance. Our “one team” culture, flat management structure and straightforward approach to project and budget management gives everyone the opportunity to progress; and to work on interesting projects with valued clients.
Our staff enjoy agile working, which allows them to tailor their working hours around core business hours in a way that works for them and their unique personal circumstances. We have a structured career framework and regular reviews to help ensure our staff can take advantage of all opportunities to progress.
Along with a competitive basic salary, the successful candidate will receive a comprehensive benefits package including 25 days annual leave (excluding public holidays); flexible working arrangements; car allowance; private health cover; death-in-service cover; professional membership subscription; and pension.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• International Biodiversity Consultant
• Based in the UK. S/he will work as a key member of the global international impact assessment practice area, so international travel will be required.
• S/he will work on a range of projects, including renewable power, infrastructure, mining and oil and gas.
• Elements of the role will be tailored to the level of the successful applicant, but would include:
o Field site visits, likely to include Africa, Eastern Europe or Asia;
o Managing in-country biodiversity specialists during field surveys and reporting;
o Interpretation and application of financial lending standards (e.g. IFC PS 6);
o Design, review and implementation of ecological impact assessment, as well as design and review of biodiversity baseline studies;
o Design and review of biodiversity action plans and biodiversity offset strategies;
o Writing of reports for a range of end uses (e.g. Due diligence, Environmental Impact Assessment);
o Preparation of proposals showing understanding of the needs of clients; and
o Client and project team liaison.
PERSON SPEC – SUMMARY
Candidates should be able to demonstrate:
• Experience of working as ecological consultant outside of the European Union, though EU/UK experience is acceptable.
• A wide range of ecological experience would be welcome, although having a background in fieldbased ecology research or surveys would be an advantage, as would a particular technical specialism (e.g. river ecology, botany, ornithology).
• A good working knowledge of international conservation frameworks and policies such as CITES and IUCN.
• Experience in applying, or an understanding of the interpretation and application of financial lending standards (e.g. WBG ESS6, IFC PS6, EBRD PR6) would be very desirable.
• A good understanding of the concept of biodiversity offset design, and preferably practical experience of biodiversity offset design and implementation.
To apply for this position please submit your application using the link on this page.
SLR Consulting is an equal opportunities employer but our expectations go beyond just complying with legislation. It is SLR’s intention that active steps are undertaken to ensure that opportunities are open to all and that as a business, we continue to strive to promote diversity and inclusion and reduce the gender pay gap.