RPS is looking for an experienced and commercially minded Senior/ Principal Ornithologist to join our highly respected Ecology Team.
Our work cover across Scotland (and northern England) so for the right candidate, there is scope to be based either in Edinburgh, Glasgow, or Inverness.
You’ll benefit from an exciting and diverse workload, delivering high quality support for private and public-sector clients across Scotland. The role’s technical focus is ornithology services for infrastructure projects, including renewable energy, coastal developments, road, forestry and marine developments.
Whilst helping to grow, manage and support our ornithological team, the role will be to orchestrate ornithology surveys, impact assessments, mitigation design, EIA and HRA’s all in accordance with best practice. You will take on responsibility for the oversight and management of more junior team members’ technical work and outputs, and work with senior staff to generate new client relationships and work streams.
Key responsibilities will include:
• Project managing a wide and varied workload and supervising field staff and survey effort
• Ornithological Impact Assessment
• Habitats Regulations Assessment and EIA
• Technical Oversight and sign-off of Project Outputs
• Ecological Mitigation Design and Implementation
• Liaising with clients to develop lasting relationships
• Staff Mentoring and Management
• Financial planning and Management
Skills/experience you’ll need to have:
• A degree (MSc or equivalent, and ideally a PhD) in ecology or closely related discipline,
• Established experience as an ornithology consultant with proven technical and project management experience with a solid background working in ecological consultancy or RSPB, BTO etc.
• An ability to plan and undertake the full range of surveys (notably birds) and also other habitat surveys to a high standard and to identify indicator plant species and habitat types
• Full knowledge of UK and EU Wildlife Legislation and best practice survey techniques
• Significant on-site EIA and HRA experience on infrastructure projects
• Experience in work-winning for major projects
• In depth knowledge of the industry and professional consultancy
• Strong leadership qualities, project management skills and self-motivation
• Developed skills in large scale schemes including EIAs
• Knowledgeable about Scotland’s environment, its stakeholders and guidance
• Full driving licence
What we offer you:
With an enviable client list, and the highest calibre multi-disciplinary back up team, we can offer unparalleled opportunities to showcase your talents and truly develop your career.
Our benefits include: 24 days holiday + bank holidays, Option to purchase up to 5 extra days per year, Company pension scheme, Group disability scheme, Share incentive scheme, Life assurance, Cycle to work scheme, Childcare vouchers, Health screening, Employee Assistance Programme, Professional Membership
About RPS (Ecology):
RPS Group Plc is a FTSE listed company, headquartered in the UK and is one of the world’s leading multi-disciplinary consultancies. RPS employs over 5,500 staff based in 115 major towns and cities.
RPS provides ecological solutions for all types of development, whether terrestrial, aquatic, coastal or marine. From resolving bat issues in individual homes to delivering all ecological surveys for large-scale complex commercial developments including Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects (NSIP), we undertake all aspects of ecological consultancy, to ensure compliance with environmental regulations and statutory requirements.
We are renowned for getting permission for even the most challenging proposals whilst maintaining the highest possible professional standards. Our integrated suite of ecological solutions includes the full range of protected species and habitat surveys, ensuring compliance with land-based, aquatic and marine wildlife legislation.
We are trusted advisors to both the private and public sectors, with staff contributing to a range of ecology guidance. As part of our quality assurance, all key ecology staff are members of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM).
RPS is an equal opportunity employer.