Thomson environmental consultants: The independent, employee-owned consultancy, chosen by successful clients, admired by competitors, and the place to work preferred by top specialists.
With offices across the UK, our experts are committed to delivering our clients exceptional outcomes across a range of environmental services and ecological contracting.
We aim to be the most innovative, pragmatic and fast-growing environmental consultancy in the UK.
Our services include but are not limited to: terrestrial ecology, freshwater ecology, marine ecology, habitat management, arboricultural services, geospatial and data management, environmental impact assessments.
Our people make us who we are; we are commercial but not corporate, guided by our values of Respect, Integrity, Support and Excellence. Career growth and development is highly valued at Thomson, and we nurture talent, leading to rapid career-progression opportunities. Our people benefit from access to a diverse range of industry-accredited external trainings, as well as in-house training opportunities led by our specialists. The variety of projects we deliver across the breadth of environmental services encourages cross-team working and collaboration.
Are you a Marine Consultant, looking for your next exciting role in the commercial sector at Senior or Principal Consultant level? If you are commercially aware, self-motivated, and organised, with excellent technical and communication skills, we would love to hear from you!
You will be responsible for delivering reports for existing marine infrastructure projects and winning new business. You will be responsible for undertaking data analysis and producing technical reports including Water Framework Directive (WFD) assessments, Habitats Regulations Assessments (HRA), Marine Conservation Zone (MCZ) assessments, Environmental Baseline Survey reporting, and Habitat Assessment reporting. You will provide consenting and planning advice to clients. In addition, you will provide support to the Head of Marine and Water Director in identifying and pursuing strategic opportunities within the renewables, oil and gas, ports and harbours, and marine engineering sectors. It’s a varied position and you’ll be integral in growing our Marine Consultancy offering, adding huge value to our Marine division as a whole.
Suitable candidates will have strong commercial project management skills, and will also be technically competent, with an in-depth knowledge of marine ecology, legislation, and survey techniques. Outputs are expected to be high quality, on time and within budget. As with all consultancy work, you will need to be a professional with the ability to communicate effectively and to maintain positive client relationships.
This is a permanent role, ideally based out of our Guildford office (with hybrid working), but we’re open to other locations for the right candidate.
You will need to:
- have relevant and proven experience in a similar role, specifically within the commercial environmental sector
- hold a degree or postgraduate degree (or equivalent) in a marine environmental discipline
- be technically competent, with an in-depth knowledge of at least one marine ecology topic, ideally benthic ecology
- have excellent written communication skills and be able to produce meticulous and accurate technical reports
- be proficient in conducting statistical analyses in PRIMER
- have excellent verbal communication skills; be able to communicate clearly and confidently with clients and stakeholders
- have a proven work winning track record and experience of preparing bids and tenders, winning work and generating new business opportunities
- be financially adept with the ability to manage budgets
- be organised with proven ability to multi-task and handle several projects simultaneously
- be able to solve problems and be creative in finding solutions
- have a positive outlook and a strong desire to succeed
Ideally you will also:
- have experience of leading and motivating a team
- have experience of analysing seabed imagery