Are you a freshwater aquatic ecologist, looking for your next exciting role in the commercial sector? If you are commercially aware, self-motivated, organised, with excellent communication and project management skills, we would love to hear from you!
We are looking for a senior technical specialist to join our small, dynamic team. You will be responsible for the delivery of freshwater projects, including leading surveys, undertaking data analysis, and preparing technical reports. You will also be responsible for the line management and training of junior staff in the freshwater team. You will have technical expertise in macroinvertebrate identification, and experience in using freshwater biological indices used in describing the status or health of a river system. You will also support the delivery of fish population monitoring and fish rescue work, undertaking river ecology habitat scores.
You will already be working at principal or senior level, with a wealth of experience within commercial consultancy. As such, you will ideally have experience of undertaking business development, preparing quotes and tenders, and building client relationships. You will be a technical expert and capable of writing accurate and concise technical reports.
You’ll be joining a happy, friendly workplace, guided by our values of Respect, Integrity, Support and Excellence. You’ll enjoy all the benefits we have to offer, including fantastic on-the-job training, 25 days annual leave, discounted gym membership, free parking (location dependent) and regular social events, with the odd cake thrown in for good measure!
Successful candidates must
- have relevant and proven experience in a similar role, specifically within the commercial environmental sector
- hold a degree or postgraduate degree (or equivalent) in Aquatic Ecology, Hydro-ecology or a related subject
- have macroinvertebrate identification skills to at least family level (TL3) and ideally mixed taxon level (TL5)
- be technically competent, with an in-depth knowledge of aquatic ecology, legislation, and survey techniques
- have excellent written and verbal communication skills; be able to produce meticulous and accurate technical reports as well as communicate confidently with clients and stakeholders
- be organised with proven ability to multi-task and handle several projects simultaneously
- be able and willing to travel and stay away from home
- be a member of an appropriate professional institute
- have a full UK driving licence and use of a car
- have a positive outlook and a strong desire to succeed.
Ideally you will also
- have experience of leading and motivating a team of both site and office based staff
- have a proven work winning track record, experience of preparing bids and tenders and generating new business opportunities.
Thomson Environmental Consultants are experts in environmental compliance. Our specialist teams have been advising our clients across various sectors, on how to achieve their objectives and meet required environmental compliance since 2004. We cover a breadth of specialisms and are always pragmatic with our advice. With offices in Guildford, Leeds, Cardiff, and Birmingham, our teams provide ecological advice, undertake surveys and assessments, habitat design and creation, ecological contracting, invasive species management, freshwater and marine consultancy, arboriculture consultancy and contracting, data.
Please apply as soon as possible with your CV and covering letter outlining your suitability to email@example.com