Are you passionate about integrating nature conservation into development? Are you looking for something new for 2020? Come and join the Darwin Ecology team…
We have an exciting opportunity at our Southern Office based in Farnham, Surrey for a Senior Ecologist & Regional Manager.
Darwin Ecology are seeking an experienced and dynamic individual to join our well-established and growing team to support in the delivery of some innovative and pragmatic projects for a range of client types.
- Your role as Senior Ecologist & Regional Manager will be to lead and inspire the southern team whilst working in collaboration with the south-western team which is lead by company Director, Mike Cummings
- Deliver a high standard of project management including writing fee proposals / tenders, liaising with clients, consultants and contractors and managing project budgets, work in collaboration with design teams to devise ecological mitigation and enhancement schemes
- Organise, manage and execute ecological surveys for all species and habitats including out of hours work
- Prepare and deliver a range of reports, protected species licences and planning documentation
- Undertake financial and business management responsibilities and assist with continued company growth
Skills & Qualifications
- A degree and / or a post-graduate qualification in a relevant discipline
- Minimum of 5 years experience in ecological consultancy
- Appropriate protected species licences
- Associate or full membership of CIEEM
- Detailed working knowledge of the planning system and construction industry, UK /EU wildlife legislation and UK ecology both within the industry and from personal interest, commercial awareness and engagement within the industry
- Able to demonstrate an excellent understanding of the consultants role and have proven commercial competency
- Proven experience of producing technical reports, EPSM licences, tenders and effective communication with clients, third parties and colleagues
- Proven success of working in a busy team, people management and mentoring
- Ability to undertake all of the above whilst maintaining a sense of humour and positive team spirit
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK, hold a UK driving licence, have their own vehicle and must be prepared to travel to different sites and to work ecology survey hours.
- Named ecologist on protected species licences
- Registered consultant for BLICL
- A valid CSCS card
- GIS skills
- Practical ecological mitigation skills
- Marketing and tendering experience
What we offer
- Salary is competitive and negotiable depending on experience and qualifications but will be in the range of £30,000-£40,000.
- 23 days annual leave
- Generous annual training budget for structured training events
- All employees are invited to join our pension scheme
- Apple Mac laptop and iPhone
- Flexible working hours and TOIL for all out of hours survey work
- Flexible and friendly working environment
- Serviced office with many facilities in a beautiful rural area on the outskirts of Farnham (Sandy)
At Darwin Ecology Ltd, we pride ourselves on a professional, solution-focused approach combined with a strong conservation ethic and passion for wildlife. Excellent survey standards, effective and bespoke mitigation and enhancements are at the core of all of our projects. We work on a wide range of projects from small extensions to large multi-phase housing developments including National Infrastructure projects. Clients include local councils, Historic England, large and small scale property developers and architects. We have a particular focus on historic and listed buildings and we frequently receive some very interesting historic building projects from our regular clients.
We undertake a wide range of ecological surveys and contracting services across the South (Surrey, Sussex, London, Hampshire, Berkshire, Hertfordshire) and South West (Dorset, Wiltshire, Somerset, Devon, Gloucestershire) regions.
We are a fun and flexible team with a strong work ethic. Our team work between two office bases and meet regularly for training or collaborative work on larger projects.
Please send a CV, detailing relevant skills and experience and a cover letter to Director Mike Cummings: email@example.com and Holly Brown Consultant Ecologist & South West Office Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews will be arranged at a convenient time for the candidate upon receipt of suitable applications.