AECOM is seeking to hire a Senior Ecologist into any of these locations- Basingstoke or Croydon to help deliver ecological consultancy and advisory services as part of our established, friendly and highly skilled ecology team. This is an exciting opportunity to expand your experience and be supported in taking the next step in your career.
We are increasing the Ecology team across our offices in the South East to support our current project workload and the future growth of our business. We are seeking individuals to assist and lead in the delivery of challenging technical projects throughout the UK in terrestrial, freshwater and marine environments, as well as individuals to play a part in the management of projects, staff and business development. There are also opportunities to get involved in overseas projects in continental Europe and Africa.
With a global revenue of over $19 billion, and nearly 100,000 employees worldwide, AECOM is a premier fully integrated infrastructure and support services firm, incorporating one of the leading environmental consultancy teams in the UK. Our UK Ecology Team comprises over 100 ecologists based across the UK and covers terrestrial, freshwater and marine habitats. We provide our clients with the full range of ecological services including specialist habitat and species surveys, impact assessment, advice on biodiversity mitigation, offsetting and enhancement, and management planning for biodiversity. Our projects include high profile major transport and other infrastructure, conventional and renewable power development as well as other industrial, commercial and residential development projects.
AECOM offers the opportunity to work on high profile, challenging and innovative projects, alongside a highly competitive benefits package and as part of a forward-thinking and successful national Ecology Team.
Working as part of the existing network of AECOM ecologists within the UK and Ireland;
Working independently, or with other ecologists and professionals, in the planning, delivery and management of protected species and habitat surveys; analysis and evaluation of results, impacts assessments, and the design and implementation of successful mitigation strategies including European Protected Species licence applications within budgets and deadlines;
Assisting in the winning, delivery and management of ecological / EIA projects;
Responsibility for technical and financial performance of ecological projects;
Writing and reviewing Environmental Statement (ES) chapters and other ecological assessments;
Providing technical review of ecological reports and other deliverables as required;
Managing and mentoring staff;
Representing AECOM externally through projects, client management, publications and presentations;
Liaising with clients, project managers and other project stakeholders including statutory bodies;
Assisting in developing and promoting best practice and innovation across the ecology business;
Undertaking other tasks which add value to the development of the ecology team or support wider environmental business goals, as required.
- Proactive and careful approach to Health and Safety;
- Technical and professional proficiency with a demonstrable history of winning and delivering ecology projects to a high standard, on time and within budgets;
- Experienced in undertaking and/or coordinating field surveys with detailed experience in one of the following areas: Phase 1 Habitat/NVC surveys, protected species surveys and licensing;
- Experience of ecological impact assessment, design and/or construction management
- Excellent knowledge of UK and EC wildlife legislation;
- Professional, organised and thorough approach to work which demonstrates an attention to detail;
- Strong and versatile problem solving and inter-personal skills, including motivating others;
- Proven ability to work closely and collaboratively with colleagues and clients, as well as to manage own time
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, in particular, the ability to write concise technical reports
- Familiarity with project management procedures and protocols, including the checking and approval of proposals and project outputs and budget management
- Willing to travel to offices and sites within the UK and potentially internationally when required by work demand
- Adaptable and flexible approach to work to meet peaks in demands (as all roles are likely to involve occasional longer/and or unsociable hours and a degree of working away from home for days/ weeks at a time)
- A track record in, or aspirations for, continuing professional development and supporting the development / management of junior ecologists.
- Recognised degree in a biological, science or related discipline – a relevant post graduate qualification in the one of these would be advantageous;
- Full Member of CIEEM (or eligible to meet relevant criteria), or other relevant professional body;
- Chartered with a relevant professional accreditation/ registration body;
- Holder of relevant protected species survey (and mitigation licences), or ability and willingness to work towards holding such licences;
- Experience in line management as well as technical leadership of teams of ecologists on major projects;
- Strong project management skills and experience (including technical, financial and quality aspects);
- First aid training;
- Licensed to drive a vehicle in the UK;
- Formal project management qualifications.
Your benefits will include:
Helping our employees achieve a healthy work-life balance is important to us. If you join AECOM, as well as receiving a competitive salary, you’ll also have the opportunity to explore flexible working arrangements. Core benefits include 25 days annual leave, company pension scheme, private medical insurance, life assurance and one paid annual professional institution membership fee. You can also choose from a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
You’ll also be able to give back to communities with up to two paid CSR days each year. Through our charity, The AECOM Foundation, you can volunteer to support children in developing countries. And if you’re a member of the Reserve Forces you’ll receive an additional 15 days paid leave for training commitments.
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It’s a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world’s most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It’s a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It’s what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES:
Please note that AECOM does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, AECOM will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, AECOM explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of AECOM.
Job Category Ecology
Business Line Environment
Business Group Design and Consulting Services Group (DCS)
Country United Kingdom
Position Status Full-Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 186131BR
Clearance Required No
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.