You will be based in the Croydon or Fleet Place office. You will be expected to mentor junior members of staff, helping them develop their field skills, lead ecological assessments, and protected species surveys, and have the ability to manage time and budgets on your projects independently, with minimal supervision. There may also be a need for general ecological support to a range of projects within the wider environment team, working closely with other disciplines to ensure ecological objectives for projects are delivered successfully, within budget, and to programme.
Position Location: Croydon/London
Country: United Kingdom
Contract Type: Permanent
Work Pattern: Full time
Job Ref: 49203BR
Recruiter Contact: Diana Collington/Kirsten McNair
- Degree in ecology/ biology or directly related subject.
- You must hold at least one protected species licence e.g. GCN, bat, dormouse. Mitigation licence experience is also preferred.
- Chartered Ecologist or a Chartered Environmentalist.
- Member of Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management or equivalent.
Your experience should be a mixture of the following:
- Have the ability to liaise with regulatory bodies, for example when inputting into protected species licencing.
- Experience undertaking protected species surveys and assessments associated with major infrastructure schemes.
- Experience working in the consultancy environment, taking into account project budgets and sometimes challenging project programmes.
- Strong report writing skills, attention to detail, and ability to write concise reports.
- Experience in undertaking and reporting on ecological studies including Preliminary Ecological Appraisal, Ecological Impact Assessment, Habitats Regulations Assessment, biodiversity net gain, nature based solutions, and the urban greening factor.
- Experience in GIS.
- Experience in writing ecology chapters for environmental impact assessments, ensuring that legislative guidelines are met.
- Knowledge of wildlife legislation, including planning process and policy, and EIA assessments.
- Experience of on-site ecological supervision, and management of sub-contractors would
Our environment team provides a wide range of specialist environmental support to internal and external clients and has an increasing workload within both the transportation and development sectors. The team is currently looking to expand to meet its current and future commitments within the transportation, water and power sectors. Due to this continuous growth, we have an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic, proactive, and experienced ecologist to join our team in London.
We can offer:
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Competitive annual leave and the option to purchase additional annual leave
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Life insurance
- Enhanced parental leave
- Annual company performance bonus scheme – Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits scheme to suit you, including cycle to work & Interest free season ticket loans etc.
For more information about our Environment sector click here
For more information about our Water sector click here
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at email@example.com and we will talk to you about how we can assist.
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.
More about Mott MacDonald
We’re a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients’ businesses, our communities and employee opportunities. A fundamental part of this is respecting each person’s differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence