AECOM are looking for a senior Ecologist to join our established South East ecology team based in Croydon. We offer the scope to undertake the full range of ecological consultancy services, including specialist habitat and species surveys, impact assessment, providing advice on biodiversity mitigation and developing habitat management plans across a broad range of exciting projects.
This is a fantastic opportunity to further your career within an established and successful business that has welfare and wellbeing as core values. We promote a healthy work-life balance and AECOM encourages agile-working and flexible home-office location. We offer the benefits of both working for a large multi-disciplinary organisation, as well as a close-knit ecology consultancy. With over 160 ecologists based across the UK, we offer mentors at a personal level to help guide the development of your skills and career. At AECOM you can go as far as your ability and desire will take you! To make this happen we provide you with the opportunity to collaborate with a diverse workforce of highly talented professionals on regional, national and even international projects that impact our world for the better.
As a Senior Ecologist at AECOM you’ll be reliable, hard-working, innovative, organised and pro-active, in order to help you manage a diverse and challenging workload. You will enjoy working with other ecologists on a range of ecological surveys and assessments, as well as excellent report-writing skills. The ability to lead tasks/projects, process data and create and manage large datasets would be an advantage, as would experience of using mobile mappers and GIS.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work as part of the existing network of AECOM ecologist within an integrated team. predominately on projects based in the East and South East of England;
- Work independently, or with other ecologists and professionals on the winning and delivery of an exciting and varied portfolio of ecological surveys and assessments;
- Mentoring and managing staff;
- Lead tasks and/or manage projects;
- Providing technical review of ecology reports and other deliverables as required;
- Communicate effectively and professionally;
- Provide robust, proportionate advice to clients on a wide range of ecological issues;
- Comply with internal business management procedures, including in relation to health and safety and technical quality; and
- Assist with other tasks as required which add value to the management and development of the ecology team.
The person we are looking for will ideally have:
- A proactive and careful approach to Health and Safety;
- Previous relevant experience working within an ecology team;
- Experience leading Phase 1 Habitat and/or protected species surveys ;
- Strong client focus and team player values;
- Committed to continuing professional development including through membership of CIEEM (or willingness to become a member);
- A strong sense of ownership in both your time management and the work you produce;
- Experience in authoring and inputting to a variety of technical reports/assessments (e.g. PEA, protected species reports. EcIA, BREEAM).
- The ability to work within time restrictions and meeting deadlines;
- Degree in a relevant subject
- Member of relevant professional body or eligible to qualify for this status.
- Relevant species / mitigation survey licences or evidence of working towards these;
Your benefits will include:
Helping our employees achieve a healthy work-life balance is important to us. If you join AECOM, as well as receiving a competitive salary, you’ll also have the opportunity to explore flexible working arrangements. Core benefits include 25 days’ annual leave, company pension scheme, private medical insurance, life assurance and one paid annual professional institution membership fee. You can also choose from a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
You’ll also be able to give back to communities with up to two paid CSR days each year. Through our charity, The AECOM Foundation, you can volunteer to support children in developing countries. And if you’re a member of the Reserve Forces you’ll receive an additional 15 days paid leave for training commitments.
What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is pioneering the future. Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come. We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions inclusion, diversity and overall employee well-being through programs supported by company leadership. Our core values define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only delivering a better world, but working to “make amazing happen” in each neighborhood, community and city we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
Job Category Sciences
Business Line Environment
Business Group Design and Consulting Services Group (DCS)
Country United Kingdom
Position Status Full-Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 253195BR
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.