AECOM is seeking senior ecologists to join our dynamic and forward-thinking ecology team based in Central England. Whether you prefer a balance of field work and office work, or you’re looking to largely move away from fieldwork and develop as a project manager, we can give you the platform to develop new skills and achieve your goals. This is a fantastic opportunity to further your career within an established and successful business that has welfare and wellbeing as core values.
The Central England Ecology Team (Birmingham, Nottingham and Chesterfield) is unique in that whilst we enjoy the benefits and security of a large corporation, we work as a small close-knit ecology consultancy. We have mentors within the team who provide support at a personal level and guide the development of skills and experience. There is a programme of internal training courses and a generous budget for external training aligned to your professional development goals. We promote a healthy work-life balance and provide fun social team activities throughout the year.
Our UK Ecology Team comprises over 160 ecologists based across the UK and covers all terrestrial, freshwater and marine habitats. We provide our clients with the full range of ecological services including specialist habitat and species surveys, impact assessment, advice on biodiversity mitigation, offsetting and enhancement, and management planning for biodiversity.
As a Senior Ecologist at AECOM you’ll be reliable, hard-working, organised and pro-active, in order to help you manage a busy workload. You will enjoy working with and training Graduate and Consultant Ecologists and will be confident leading a range of surveys. You’ll have specialist knowledge developed over the course of your career, and experience of a wide range of projects. For those looking for an office-based position, you’ll have project management skills and report-writing skills, with opportunities to develop these skills further under the guidance of senior managers. The ability to process data and create and manage large datasets would be an advantage, as would experience of using GIS to manage sites and fieldwork. A keen eye for detail for would be a definite advantage.
Role Responsibilities may include:
- Organising, carrying out and supervising desk- and field-based habitat and species surveys;
- Co-ordination of field and office-based work;
- Managing and mentoring of junior staff;
- Development of monitoring strategies;
- Provide specialist input to multi-disciplinary teams;
- Writing and reviewing ecological assessments, reports and other deliverables;
- Managing the technical and financial performance of ecological projects; and
- Liaising with clients, project managers and other project stakeholders including statutory bodies.
AECOM has a proactive “working global” initiative which means that there are opportunities to work on and in International Projects.
- Experience of working in an ecology-related job role in the public and / or private sector;
- Experience of designing, co-ordinating and leading field surveys;
- (for predominantly office-based roles) Have demonstrable experience in producing a range of reports and providing ecological advice to clients and stakeholders;
- Bachelors of Degree in Engineering filed
Your benefits will include:
Helping our employees achieve a healthy work-life balance is important to us. If you join AECOM, as well as receiving a competitive salary, you’ll also be able to explore flexible working arrangements through our FREEDOM TO GROW
- way of working. Core benefits include 25 days’ annual leave, company pension scheme, private medical insurance, life assurance and one paid annual professional institution membership fee. You can also choose from a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
You’ll also be able to give back to communities with up to two paid CSR days each year. Through our charity, The AECOM Foundation, you can volunteer to support children in developing countries. And if you’re a member of the Reserve Forces you’ll receive an additional 15 days paid leave for training commitments.
What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is pioneering the future. Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come. We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions inclusion, diversity and overall employee well-being through programs supported by company leadership. Our core values define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only delivering a better world, but working to “make amazing happen” in each neighborhood, community and city we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
Job Category Sciences
Business Line Environment
Business Group Design and Consulting Services Group (DCS)
Country United Kingdom
Position Status Full-Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 244465BR
Additional Locations UK – Chesterfield
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.