Work with Us. Change the World.
At AECOM, we’re delivering a better world. Whether improving your commute, keeping the lights on, providing access to clean water, or transforming skylines, our work helps people and communities thrive. We are the world’s trusted infrastructure consulting firm, partnering with clients to solve the world’s most complex challenges and build legacies for future generations.
There has never been a better time to be at AECOM. With accelerating infrastructure investment worldwide, our services are in great demand. We invite you to bring your bold ideas and big dreams and become part of a global team of nearly 50,000 planners, designers, engineers, scientists, digital innovators, program and construction managers and other professionals delivering projects that create a positive and tangible impact around the world.
We’re one global team driven by our common purpose to deliver a better world. Join us.
With more than 160 professional ecologists in the UK and Ireland, AECOM Ecology is supporting the goal to deliver a better world through effective management of the biodiversity that underpins natural capital. As one team, we work across terrestrial, freshwater and marine environments in a wide range of sectors including renewables, utilities; Government, residential, industry and sustainable transportation. The majority of our work is based in the UK and Ireland, but there are opportunities to work on overseas projects, including in mainland Europe, and the Middle East, through desk based studies and short trips to other countries.
Our ecologists work with other disciplines on life changing projects. Together, we provide the full range of ecological services including habitat and protected species surveys, impact assessment, advice on biodiversity mitigation, offsetting and enhancement, net gain and management planning for biodiversity. We are also at the forefront of ecological innovation, including ecological modelling and advanced data capture and analytical techniques.
AECOM is looking for a Senior Ecologist to join our extended team.
This role can be hybrid based, working at main offices in Nottingham, Birmingham, Cardiff, Bristol, Basingstoke and Croydon and depending on the location, and your skillset and the season you could be working on Advanced Bat Survey Techniques, be part of our vibrant Biodiversity Net Gain team and using innovative techniques for species surveys and data capture.
As a Senior Ecologist within AECOM this role will require you to:
- Support the preparation of high quality and commercially astute bids and tenders for ecological services, notably in the energy, defence, and water sectors;
- Plan, schedule and organise all phases of ecological project work, ensuring necessary resources, budgets and controls are in place to meet both programme and budget requirements;
- Deliver ecological consultancy and advisory services to both internal and external clients;
- Support development of technically robust and pragmatic solutions to complex ecological issues;
- Communicate effectively and professionally with other members of the ecology team, within projects and with clients by telephone, electronically and in both Teams and face to face meetings;
- Author and, or technically check project deliverables to ensure high quality outputs; and
- Support your line manager with maintaining performance and skill sets as well as in collecting and disseminating key business messages and metrics.
This is a fantastic opportunity to further your career within an established, successful and respected consultancy.
- The person we are looking for should be able to demonstrate:
- Proven track record of supporting the planning and delivery of ecology projects in the UK or Ireland;
- A proactive approach to Health and Safety;
- Positive behaviours and values with respect to client care, pragmatic decision making and building working relationships, including as a team player;
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Well-developed understanding of UK or Irish wildlife conservation;
- Excellent field skills preferably in at least one specialist area;
- Professional, organised and thorough approach to work with a keen eye for detail;
- Hardworking, and highly motivated behaviours and able to work within time restrictions and balance demanding deadlines;
- Commitment to innovation and continuing professional development;
- A full driving licence and willingness to visit locations on company business;
- The right to work in the UK.
- 1st degree (or equivalent) in Ecology or a related subject with a strong ecological component;
- Postgraduate qualification in a relevant subject;
- Protected species licences, especially bats;
- FISC Lvl 3 or above
- Membership or evidence of working towards full membership of an appropriate professional institution.
At AECOM, we are passionate about the environment and helping achieve sustainable development. Our goal is to ensure that the way we run our business and the work we do leaves a positive, lasting impact for communities and our planet. We are working towards this goal by delivering Sustainable Legacies – our Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) strategy and services offering.
AECOM is the world’s trusted infrastructure consulting firm, delivering professional services throughout the project lifecycle – from advisory, planning, design and engineering to program and construction management. On projects spanning transportation, buildings, water, new energy and the environment, our public- and private-sector clients trust us to solve their most complex challenges. Our teams are driven by a common purpose to deliver a better world through our unrivaled technical and digital expertise, a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion, and a commitment to environmental, social and governance priorities. AECOM is a Fortune 500 firm and its Professional Services business had revenue of $14.4 billion in fiscal year 2023. See how we are delivering sustainable legacies for generations to come at aecom.com and @AECOM.
Freedom to Grow in a World of Opportunity
You will have the flexibility you need to do your best work with hybrid work options. Whether you’re working from an AECOM office, remote location or at a client site, you will be working in a dynamic environment where your integrity, entrepreneurial spirit and pioneering mindset are championed.
You will help us foster a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion – a safe and respectful workplace, where we invite everyone to bring their whole selves to work using their unique talents, backgrounds and expertise to create transformational outcomes for our clients.
AECOM provides a wide array of compensation and benefits programs to meet the diverse needs of our employees and their families. We also provide a robust global well-being program. We’re the world’s trusted global infrastructure firm, and we’re in this together – your growth and success are ours too.
Join us, and you’ll get all the benefits of being a part of a global, publicly traded firm – access to industry-leading technology and thinking and transformational work with big impact and work flexibility. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.