BWB Consulting has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Ecologist to be based in our Nottingham, Manchester or Birmingham Office.
We are ideally looking for an individual with at least four years of proven experience within an ecological consultancy, who can demonstrate a strong technical background.
A Natural England Class 2 Bat Licence and the ability to hold EPS licences for bats is essential. Experience in carrying out assessments for BREEAM Land Use and Ecology credits, as well as Biodiversity Net Gain, is also highly desirable.
The role will provide an opportunity for an individual to demonstrate a broad range of skills by undertaking specialist technical work, whilst working as part of a small, integrated, progressive environmental team. The majority of the role will be comprised of ecological survey work and reporting. However, it also represents an opportunity to work with the wider team to deliver growth opportunities and to build Client relationships and there will be opportunities for Business Development.
A key part of BWB’s approach is the ability to deliver a high-quality service to Clients, with cost-effective and innovative solutions to ecological issues.
Our work is varied and widespread supporting our Clients on projects both locally and throughout the UK as required and the position will involve input and management of projects across the BWB Offices.
Job Location: – United Kingdom — England — West Midlands — West Midlands — Birmingham
Job Type: Permanent
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2020
Closing date: 30 Nov 2020 23:59
Service line: Environmental Planning
About the team
The Ecology team sits within the Environmental Planning service line at BWB. The Ecology team is a rapidly expanding part of BWB’s environmental service offering, with involvement at all stages in the planning cycle from feasibility through to masterplanning and the discharge of conditions.
We aim to create a working environment that provides challenge, enjoyment and a real sense of satisfaction with a view to encouraging personal and professional development in all our staff.
It is a great opportunity to work within a small team at a multi-disciplinary consultancy, offering numerous opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration to provide a better service to our Clients.
The successful applicant will be able to demonstrate at least four years’ experience of working within ecological consultancy and will be expected to hold full membership of CIEEM. The successful applicant will be able to carry out a wide range of ecological surveys and will be proficient in offering practical and cost-effective solutions to Clients. A Natural England Class 2 Bat Licence and the ability to hold EPS licences for bats is essential.
Experience in undertaking assessments for BREEAM Land Use and Ecology credits and Biodiversity Net Gain is highly desirable. Experience of working on schemes dealing with Nitrogen deposition and impacts on designated sites would also be advantageous.
As well as being able to independently undertake survey work and produce high quality written reports, the successful applicant would be expected to take responsibility for financial performance and commercial management on a wide range of projects.
We are seeking a candidate with the following qualities:
- Excellent communicator, both written and oral, with the ability to adapt communication style to suit different circumstances;
- Proactive approach with drive, positivity and enthusiasm and a strong desire to succeed;
- Ability to prioritise team workloads and manage resources to ensure efficient delivery of projects;
- Highly self-organised and able to deliver own and facilitate others, to deliver projects to time, quality and cost constraints;
- Commercially astute with strong and effective influencing and negotiating skills, as well as a proven ability to develop and maintain Client relationships;
- Has the skills and personality to build and develop high-performing teams in an environment that encourages individuals to fulfil their potential;
- Keen to keep learning to improve own breadth of knowledge and technical expertise;
- A Degree/ Masters in Ecology or a related subject; and
- A full driving licence.
Reasons to join BWB
At BWB, we invest in our people and give them fantastic career opportunities. Look at what we have been recognised for recently:
- Investors in People Platinum standard
- A Sunday Times Top 100 Best companies to work for
- An NCE Top 100 Consultancy
Join BWB and your career will not conform to the traditional models of yesterday but will be a fulfilling and challenging journey into tomorrow’s digital age; a journey that you will Play an active role in defining!
At BWB you matter, and you will make a difference. A difference to the world you live in; the communities you engage with; even the development of your career and the profession.
We are on an exciting journey. Join Us.
What we can offer you
- A competitive Salary – We benchmark all our salaries against the market and review these annually.
- Holiday – 25 days holiday plus bank holidays and the option to buy extra days holiday per year to boost your entitlement
- Life Assurance 4x salary.
- Non-contributory Pension Scheme – we’ll pay an Employer Contribution, even if you don’t wish to contribute yet and the contribution will increase with years’ service.
- Superb training – bespoke to you and your development needs.
- Professional Subscription – BWB will make a payment for one professional subscription a year.
- Social Fund – We will pay £25 per head per quarter to have a great time socialising with your colleagues outside of the work environment.
- Health-care cash plan for all your everyday medical needs such as dentistry and optical care.
- Loyalty bonus – bonus, additional holidays, pension enhancement and sabbaticals.
- Perkbox rewards scheme – providing our people with access to a range of employee discounts and benefits.
- Cycle to Work – Get excellent rates for a new bike and accessories through our scheme.
- 1 paid day of volunteering for a company-nominated charity
- 2.5 paid days for STEM activity