Are you looking for a new challenge where you can contribute to major projects across the Environmental sector? Do you want to work in an environment where your efforts make a difference and your talent is valued and recognised?
About the Role
RPS are looking for an experienced Senior Aquatic Ecologist who will contribute as a key member of our Environment Division. We can offer the flexibility for the successful candidate to be based in any of our ROI offices in either Galway, Cork or Dublin. You will assist in the delivery and management of projects for key public and private sector clients in Ireland.
About the Responsibilities
- Management of aquatic ecology team delivering high quality, consultancy services to RPS clients.
- Preparation of Environmental Impact Assessment Reports (EIAR) and Appropriate Assessments (AA, NIS) on the likely impacts of proposed plans/ projects covering a range of sectors including water, transport, waste, energy and land use.
- Site surveys/ assessments and specialist aquatic ecological surveys and monitoring as and when required (e.g. macro-invertebrates (Q value and SSRS), fisheries surveys, white-clawed crayfish, freshwater pearl mussel etc.).
- Statistical analysis of ecological data to support ecological assessments.
- Consultation with relevant stakeholders including: government departments, planning authorities, National Parks and Wildlife Service, Inland Fisheries Ireland, and other regulatory bodies.
- Project management of Environmental Impact Assessment and Appropriate Assessment processes including coordination of specialist inputs, liaison with stakeholders, public consultation and compilation of statutory documentation.
- Presentation at Oral Hearing.
- Working with internal RPS departments, our clients and other third parties such as engineers, architects, planners, environmental consultants, hydrologists, archaeologists, landscape architects etc.
- Management of resourcing and budgeting on projects. Business development and reporting to senior management and directors.
RPS are a recognised leader in multidisciplinary engineering, environmental, project communications and project management consultancy. We are 5,600 professional consultants and service providers with deep expertise in things that matter. We define, design and manage projects in the property, energy, transport, water, defence and security and resources sectors across 125 countries.
In Ireland, we employ 600 of the most talented, high-performing professionals in the industry.
- Clear experience working as an aquatic ecologist and delivering environmental impact assessments.
- A master’s degree (Level 9) in biology/ zoology/ botany or a related environmental science subject with a focus on aquatic ecology / water quality assessment.
- A minimum ten years’ employment experience in ecological consultancy.
- Full Membership of CIWEM, CIEEM or similar. Chartership (Ecologist / Scientist / Environmentalist) desirable, or working towards chartership.
- Excellent field skills with demonstrated field survey experience in aquatic ecology.
- Knowledge of relevant Irish and European legislation e.g. Water Framework Directive, Habitats Directive, EIA Directive, and Irish regulations.
- Experience in writing environmental and appropriate assessment impact assessments as part of the EIA and AA processes, and recommending appropriate mitigation measures.
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Demonstrable ability to manage a varied ecological workload.
- Full clean driving licence.
- Experience in catchment science and management, Water Framework Directive.
- Experience of licensable activities/surveys for protected species.
- Experience as an expert witness, e.g. at planning oral hearings.
- Experience utilising GIS systems e.g. ArcGIS, QGIS and or others.
What we can offer
You will be offered a competitive salary, an attractive package along with a great diverse team environment. In addition, we offer flexible working hours and deliver a comprehensive training and development programme for all professional levels to further expand your skill set within the Environmental division.
If you would like to join a company that will challenge you to be creative in design and solutions, join RPS.
Location: Galway, Cork or Dublin
Job Type: Permanent
Ref. No: J5241
(Registration needed) including the relevant Ref. Number (5241)
Closing Date: TBC
We do not require the assistance of Agencies at this time
Note: As with all positions, due to the dynamic nature of RPS’s business, key responsibilities will evolve and change over time
RPS is an equal opportunity employer.