AECOM, a market leading, international consultancy, is looking for an experienced Senior Aquatic Ecologist who as part of the team can plan and execute a range of freshwater ecological surveys. They will be able to analyse and interpret the data they’ve collected and provide robust technical opinion based on it.
The successful applicant will be based in AECOM’s Basingstoke office where they’ll join a growing, friendly and highly motivated team and contribute to a diverse range of projects; major infrastructure and utility projects, habitat restoration, pollution response surveys and water quality investigations. Currently we’re working on;
- The Mersey Gateway – construction & post construction monitoring
- HS2 P1, EWC and P2B – baseline ecology & WFD
- Buliisa, Uganda – Oil & Gas – baseline ecology
- Anglesey North Wales Connection – EIA
- River restoration projects – River Chess, River Misbourne, River Ver
- M4 Corridor – baseline ecology & WFD
The role offers excellent career progression opportunities within AECOM and working as part of the Aquatic Ecology Team management you will have the opportunity to influence how the team continues to grow and develop.
Technically you will have a good understanding of all disciplines of freshwater ecology to include algae, macroinvertebrates, macrophytes and fish in freshwater and transitional habitats.
The appointee would contribute to opportunities in aquatic ecology being developed by the company for a range of clients by:
- Managing a team of aquatic ecologists based in AECOM’s Basingstoke office
- Support the Aquatic Ecology Team lead with business development
- Provide a technical lead in the south of the UK for aquatic ecology; macroinvertebrates, macrophytes and aquatic habitat assessments.
- Regular input to project design meetings eg: HS2 P2B
- Mentoring more junior staff, supporting their written, analytical and field skills and developing their identification techniques in all freshwater disciplines
- Authoring and reviewing input to reports, devising monitoring strategies and working within multi-disciplinary teams to provide specialist input.
- Developing data analysis and processing
- Lead in the production of Environmental Impact Assessment documents in line with CIEEM guidelines
- Developing project management skills by way of AECOM in-house training schemes
- Undertaking other tasks to support the wider environmental business, as required.
- Demonstrable experience of leading on the production of ecological impact assessments and appropriate assessments
- Demonstrable experience of contributing to and leading WFD (Biology) assessments
- An understanding of the industry standard monitoring techniques and analyses for macroinvertebrates (RICT, BMWP, ASPT, WHPT) and macrophytes (MTR, CSM, Leafpacs)
- Knowledge of legislation relating to the aquatic environment and its implementation, particularly the Water Framework Directive
- Good personal time management, communication skills with internal and external clients and team members locally and nationally
- Willingness to learn new skills and to be flexible in terms of travelling and working hours as AECOM projects can be distributed across the UK
- Previous commercial and/or regulatory experience
- A full UK driving licence.
Additional desirable but not essential attributes for the role:
- Experience of surveying and identifying macrophytes, benthic diatoms, phytoplankton / zooplankton or fish would be advantageous
- Protected Species Licences
- ArcGIS experience
- Phase 1 Habitat Survey
- CSCS Card.
- The appointee will be qualified to degree level in a relevant subject and have a minimum of four years’ experience in an aquatic ecology role
- A higher degree in Aquatic Ecology or related discipline would be an advantage
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It’s a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world’s most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It’s a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It’s what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES:
Please note that AECOM does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, AECOM will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, AECOM explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of AECOM.
Job Category Ecology
Country United Kingdom
Position Status Full-Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 174641BR