Geckoella is an ecological and geological consultancy based in south west England and working across the UK. We are offering an excellent early career ecology employment opportunity – Seasonal Ecologist.
You will be supported to gain the skills and tickets needed to rapidly progress, will experience a range of large and small projects, and will be involved in every level of the organisation. We pride ourselves on investing in our close-knit team. As well as a competitive salary, Geckoella Ltd encourages a good work/life balance with full TOIL. Tailored CPD includes structured and unstructured ‘on the job’ learning alongside experienced ecologists. All equipment is provided, including some formidable tech. The main aspect of your work however will be the wildlife; you will survey and report on a range of protected species and habitats and will learn how to do this effectively. You may also assist with Geckoella’s geology work, for example on sustainable coastal management, building stones and geological site surveys.
The Seasonal Ecologist positions comprise a fixed term contract of 37.5 hours per week to start April 2020 until end of September 2020 (with possible extension). There is likely to be frequent night work and working away from home.
- Ecological survey and reporting experience
- An appetite to learn and develop ecological survey and data management, analysis and reporting skills
- Excellent IT skills incl. mobile devices.
- Excellent communication skills across a range of media
- Adaptable, ability to use initiative and work on your own with minimum supervision
- Demonstrable understanding of self-organisation, team working and task delivery, H&S, and ability to contribute to strong safety and quality culture
- Degree in relevant Ecology/Environmental Discipline or equivalent scientific skills and expertise
Essential Practical requirements
- Legal right to work in the UK
- Home work base with excellent broadband within 1.5 hrs of Geckoella’s Williton Work base (Somerset)
- Full UK driving licence and access to car for business use
- Ability to carry out fieldwork including during unsociable hours at sites throughout the UK
- Specialism / interest in a species, group or aspect of wildlife
- CSCS card
- Protected Species survey experience
- Graduate, Qualifying or Associate member of CIEEM
- Botanical ID skills, including habitat classification (phase 1)
Salary in the range of £17-20K dependent on skills and experience.
Please forward the following by to [email protected]
- Concise covering letter detailing relevant skills and experience (1 side of A4 maximum)
- C.V. with references (2 sides of A4 maximum)