- Job: Seasonal Ecologist
- Location: Oxfordshire
- Salary: Starting at £19,000 (pro-rata) but negotiable based on experience
Ecology by Design is currently looking to recruit three Seasonal Ecologists to join our team on a fixed-term basis.
Ecology by Design was setup in January 2015 and we have had consistent growth ever since. We strive to employ the best and brightest and reward hard work and dedication. We provide ecology consultancy services to a wide range of clients. We pride ourselves in technical excellence and providing an innovative, pragmatic, client-friendly service. This is demonstrated by being highly commended for the 2021 CIEEM best small consultancy.
Working as a seasonal ecologist for us will give you hands-on experience of a wide range of surveys for protected species and habitats. Unlike some consultancies, we’ll also help improve your other consultancy skills as you’ll get some time in the office and will do almost all surveys in pairs. This role will give you an excellent springboard into consultancy and help you secure that first full-time role.
We work across the UK with the majority of our projects across the Home Counties, South and Midlands.
You can read more about our work on our website at www.ecologybydesign.co.uk.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Genuine and demonstrable enthusiasm for ecology and the environment;
- Some identification skills of UK plants and animals;
- Good time management;
- Motivated to work both independently and as part of a team, often in remote locations and sometimes during unsociable hours;
- Good communication skills with colleagues, clients and third parties;
- Full driving licence and use of a car; and
- The project-based nature of our work means the candidate must be wiling to undertake travel and work away from home with overnight stays.
Desirable skills / experience:
- Advanced skills in one or more specialist ecological areas e.g. bats, birds, reptiles;
- Student or Associate Member of CIEEM;
- In the process of securing a degree or equivalent in an ecology related discipline; and
- Experience of using QGIS or ArcGIS.
Working for Ecology by Design
- Apple computer and IPhone;
- Competitive salary;
- Colleague nominated bonus scheme;
- 5 days paid annual leave per month (equivalent of 30 days per year) for the duration of your time with us which can be taken as desired
- A flexible approach to work time, balancing a healthy work life balance.
The candidate must live within commuting distance to Chalgrove, Oxfordshire or be willing to relocate.
In a typical survey season we routinely conduct habitat surveys and/or mitigation work for the following species:
- Great crested newts (GCN)
- Water voles and otters
You will be expected to conduct night work (GCN or bats) two or three nights a week (taking time off in lieu so you can get some well-earned rest) and will not be asked to do any weekend work.
Depending on how long you’re with us, you’re also likely to conduct some office-based tasks such as data handling, data entry, bat data analysis, camera analysis, desk studies, simple reports and GIS mapping.
For an informal discussion about the job, please contact Ben Gardner on email@example.com or 01865893346.
In the first instance please send your CV and covering letter to the email above including the location you are based and the period in which you’re able and willing to work.
Closing date for applications is 11th February 2022. If you have not heard from us by Friday 25th February, please assume that your application has not been successful. We may request further information before inviting prospective candidates for interview.
Take a look at a short video of what it is like to work with us: https://www.ecologybydesign.co.uk/careers