At WSP, there’s nothing we love more than pushing boundaries. Harnessing innovation and sharing insights across our diverse, international team to create a tomorrow’s world that’s cleaner, greener and safer. Join us and you’ll be part of an organisation that takes pride in its people and purpose: creating long-lasting solutions to meet the needs of generations to come.
WSP has a large, highly experienced and friendly Ecology team who get involved with a diverse range of interesting projects across a number of sectors within the UK for both private and public sector clients. The team pride themselves on the integrated support offered by working alongside our in-house water, landscape, arboriculture and sustainability specialists to deliver commercially balanced, innovative and integrated solutions.
We are looking to appoint a Seasonal Ecologist into our Cambridge office on a 6 Month Fixed Term Contract to support our growing workload.
JOB NUMBER: WSP03899
LOCATION: UK – East of England
OFFICE LOCATION: Cambridge (Hills Road)
CONTRACT TYPE: Fixed Term
CLOSING DATE: 31-Jan-2020
A typical week would include:
- Assisting our ecologists with planning and undertaking ecology surveys including extended Phase 1 habitat surveys and protected species surveys.
- Input into technical reports and tenders.
- Production of Health and Safety Plans and Risk Assessments.
- Data management and analysis.
WSP offer fantastic training opportunities and are currently rolling out a new internal training programme allowing you to develop your career as a professional ecologist in a supportive environment. Ecologists at WSP benefit from competitive salaries and pension contributions, 25 days annual leave, a flexible working policy and a range of other corporate benefits and discounts.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- An appropriate academic qualification in Ecology or a related discipline
- Qualifying Member status with CIEEM (or are eligible for this)
- Some demonstrable experience in ecological survey, ideally in a consultancy environment but other experience will be considered, including voluntary work
- An enthusiastic, energetic outlook
- Excellent attention to detail and analytical skills
- Experience of producing GIS maps
- An appreciation of relevant wildlife legislation and ecological survey methodologies
- A valid driving licence is desirable and you should be comfortable working in remote locations, potentially in adverse weather conditions and potentially staying away from home during the working week
- Confident and highly motivated with good communication skills and the ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Able to demonstrate a pragmatic and proactive approach to project work, whilst working closely with fellow professionals both within WSP and externally as appropriate.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy – we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
WSP is one of the world’s leading engineering professional services firms providing technical consultancy to the built and natural environment. We believe that for societies to thrive, we must all hold ourselves accountable for tomorrow. For us, that means creating innovative solutions to the challenges the future will bring to the communities and environments where we live and work across the UK.
We are locally dedicated and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors, including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, programme and construction management professionals. Our experts design lasting solutions in the property & buildings, transportation & infrastructure, environment, industry, resources (including mining, and oil & gas) and power & energy sectors as well as project delivery and strategic consulting services. And safety and sustainability are embedded in everything that we do.
Check out www.wsp.com for more info about the great work we do.
Please note that WSP reserve the right to close this vacancy prior to the advertised closing date.