We manage over 30,000 hectares of woodland throughout Great Britain. The properties managed are remarkably diverse, ranging from species rich ancient broadleaved woods to extensive conifer plantations, and from small farm woodlands to whole estates.
After a record year throughout the country, we are seeking an Assistant Ecologist for a 2-year fixed term appointment (with the potential for a permanent contract), based in Brampton Bryan, Nr Knighton, Powys, to cover Wales, Marches and West England to fulfil the expanding need for surveys and reports on our sites in the public, private and third sector.
Candidates must be self-motivated and ambitious, ready to conscientiously support a team with an expanding portfolio.
Good candidates will be able to demonstrate:
· Educated to degree level (or higher) in an ecology/ relevant subject.
· We will consider applicants with a wide range of experience, but demonstration of managing UK based ecology projects is highly desirable.
· Licence holder for at least one protected species, ideally Dormouse.
· Member (or eligible) of CIEEM is desirable, but not essential.
As an Assistant Ecologist, you would be supporting the Senior Ecologist and local forest managers to deliver ecology surveys, Ecological Impact Assessments (EIA), Preliminary Ecological Appraisals, peatland restoration assessment surveys and protected species surveys in relation to woodlands and areas for woodland creation.
The following attributes are also essential:
· Critical thinking to solve problems.
· Customer focus, the ability to actively listen and deliver accurately to meet the needs of the client
· Computer literacy: QGIS, GPS & mobile surveying apps, Microsoft 365 (particularly Excel, Word & Outlook), bespoke web applications and all video conferencing formats.
· A full clean UK driving licence and a willingness to travel to other parts of the UK if required.
In return we offer a competitive salary, iPhone, laptop and company vehicle.
Applications should be submitted in writing along with CV and directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 31st January 2021.
Planned interview dates (by video conference): week commencing the 15th February 2021.
If you have specific questions then please contact email@example.com.