Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Project Ecologist (FTC 12 month (with option to extend)) to join our Power Transmission & Distribution business based in Avonmouth.
Project Ecologist (FTC 12 Month)
- Job number: UK19250
- Company/Division: Power Transmission Distribution
- Career area: Health Safety Environment
- Country: UK
- Location: UK, South West, Bristol
- Contract type: Fixed Term
- The Site Ecologist will report to the ES Project Partner and Project Managers, to ensure the scheme avoids contravention of relevant wildlife law and complies with the CEMP and Biodiversity Mitigation Strategy as implemented under the Hinkley Point C Connection Project Development Consent Order 2016;
- The Site Ecologist will also liaise with the technical and specialist licensed ecologists where necessary.
What you’ll be doing
On a day to day basis you will be responsible for:
- Reviewing ecological constraints ahead of works and providing on-site advice to operations on ecological management, compliance and project specific mitigation measures;
- Delivering ecological toolbox talks and ensuring personnel are aware of their ecological responsibilities;
- Providing on-site ecological supervision for vegetation clearance and construction activities;
- Conducting general and species specific pre-work surveys;
- Advising on the location ecological exclusion zones and necessary signage;
- Undertaking ecological walkover surveys and deploying wildlife cameras;
- Producing internal and external record and reports as required;
- Pro-actively identifying and resolving ecological issues that arise in liaison with the Environmental & Sustainability Team;
- Supporting wider environmental and Development Consent Order compliance;
- Liaising and working in collaboration with technical and specialist ecologists and acting as an accredited agent as required;
- Other duties as required.
Who we’re looking for
Personal Qualities and Experience:
- Full UK driving licence;
- Proven experience in a similar role;
- Good knowledge of ecology legislation and survey best practical;
- A relevant undergraduate degree or experience in Ecology, Zoology, Biological Sciences, or other relevant Environmental Sciences;
- Practical experience of identifying baseline Ecological constraints during site visits and providing guidance on mitigation measures;
- Experience of ecological survey protocols and methodologies;
- Good interpersonal, influencing, communication and organisation skills;
- Strong report writing skills, including experience of writing method statements and survey reports.
- Hold a protected species licence;
- A relevant Masters degree in Ecology or other relevant discipline;
- Membership of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM);
- Qualified persons CSCS card.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our skilled and dedicated teams deliver a range of proactive and reactive services which support a reliable and safe supply of power flowing to millions of homes and businesses around the world. Our contracts range from 50,000 schemes to 100 million plus major projects.
Our people are our biggest asset and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of the future. We nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level.
Balfour Beattys Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions.
With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations.
From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the worlds most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence ‘Employer Recognition Scheme’ and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/