AECOM is looking to appoint a Principal Ecologist in either Basingstoke or Croydon to support our current project workload and the future growth of our business. This Principal Ecologist will assist and lead in the delivery of challenging technical projects throughout the UK and increasingly overseas in terrestrial, freshwater and marine environments, as well as manage some projects, staff and business development. AECOM is seeking to recruit for area winning and undertaking work overseas, implementation of ecosystem services and function assessment, remote sensing of vegetation, and air quality and noise/vibration in relation to ecology.
Our UK Ecology Team comprises over 100 ecologists based across the UK and covers terrestrial, freshwater and marine habitats. With a global revenue of over $19 billion, and nearly 100,000 employees worldwide, AECOM is a premier fully integrated infrastructure and support services firm, incorporating one of the leading environmental consultancy teams in the UK. We provide our clients with the full range of ecological services including specialist habitat and species surveys, impact assessment, advice on biodiversity mitigation, offsetting and enhancement, and management planning for biodiversity. Our projects include high profile major transport and other infrastructure, conventional and renewable power development as well as other industrial, commercial and residential development projects.
Job Duties :
- Working as part of the existing network of AECOM ecologists within the UK and Ireland
- Major projects (ecology) delivery and leadership
- A strong presence in representing AECOM externally through projects, client management, publications and presentations.
- Working as part of the existing network of AECOM ecologists within the UK;
- Contributing to and implementing a strategy for growth (quality and size) of the ecology business across the UK and Ireland
- Assisting in the winning, delivery and management of ecological/EIA projects;
- Responsibility for technical and financial performance of ecological projects;
- Writing and reviewing Environmental Statement (ES) chapters and other ecological assessments;
- Providing technical review of ecological reports and other deliverables as required;
- Managing and mentoring staff;
- Liaising with clients, project managers and other project stakeholders including statutory bodies;
- Undertaking other tasks which add value to the development of the ecology team or support wider environmental business goals, as required.
AECOM offers the opportunity to work on high profile, challenging and innovative projects, alongside a highly competitive benefits package and as part of a forward-thinking and successful national Ecology Team.
- Proactive and careful approach to Health and Safety, including first aid training certificate;
- Technical and professional proficiency with a demonstrable history of winning and delivering ecology projects to a high standard, on time and within budgets;
- Experience of ecological impact assessment, design and/or construction management on major infrastructure projects in the UK.
- Excellent knowledge of UK and EC wildlife legislation and policy, as well as Ecological Impact Assessment (EcIA);
- Experience in line management as well as technical leadership of teams of ecologists on major projects
- Strong project management skills and experience (including technical, financial and quality aspects)
- Full Member of CIEEM (or eligible to meet relevant criteria),or other relevant professional body;
- Professional, organised and thorough approach to work which demonstrates an attention to detail;
- Strong and versatile problem solving and inter-personal skills, including motivating others;
- Proven ability to work closely and collaboratively with colleagues and clients, as well as to manage own time;
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, in particular, the ability to write concise technical reports;
- Familiarity with project management procedures and protocols, including the checking and approval of proposals and project outputs and budget management;
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: Phase 1 Habitat / NVC surveys, protected species surveys and licensing;
- Electronic data capture, analysis and presentation;
- Willing to travel to offices and sites within the UK and potentially internationally when required by work demand;
- Adaptable and flexible approach to work to meet peaks in demands (as all roles are likely to involve occasional longer/and or unsociable hours and a degree of working away from home for days/ weeks at a time);
- A track record in, or aspirations for, continuing professional development and supporting the development / management of junior ecologists.
To include at least some of the following:
- Recognised degree in a biological, science or related discipline – a relevant post graduate qualification in the one of these would be advantageous;
- Chartered with a relevant professional accreditation/ registration body;
- Holder of relevant protected species survey (and mitigation licences), or ability and willingness to work towards holding such licences;
- Licensed to drive a vehicle in the UK
- Formal project management qualifications.
Your benefits will include:
Helping our employees achieve a healthy work-life balance is important to us. If you join AECOM, as well as receiving a competitive salary, you’ll also have the opportunity to explore flexible working arrangements. Core benefits include 25 days annual leave, company pension scheme, private medical insurance, life assurance and one paid annual professional institution membership fee. You can also choose from a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
You’ll also be able to give back to communities with up to two paid CSR days each year. Through our charity, The AECOM Foundation, you can volunteer to support children in developing countries. And if you’re a member of the Reserve Forces you’ll receive an additional 15 days paid leave for training commitments.
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It’s a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world’s most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It’s a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It’s what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES:
Please note that AECOM does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, AECOM will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, AECOM explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of AECOM.