Our ecology team is growing and ERM is seeking to recruit either a Technical Director or a Principal Consultant (with scope to be promoted within a reasonable timeframe) to join our high performing EMEA team. This is an excellent opportunity based in the UK, to lead on the delivery of client services to support large-scale capital development projects, with a particular emphasis on the transition to the low carbon economy, but including sectors as diverse as mining, oil and gas, infrastructure, and manufacturing.
As Technical Director , you will contribute your leadership, client relationship, and technical consulting skills to support the delivery of projects for ERM’s business, whilst supporting outstanding biodiversity teams across the EMEA region. As part of the global biodiversity team you will contribute to projects and innovation globally and play a major part in ERM’s growth.
Provide strategic and technical direction to the growing team of consultants across the EMEA region for biodiversity and ecosystem services impact assessment and management planning with emphasis on renewable energy and the transition to a low carbon economy;
- Managing large scale UK projects, including delivery of survey programmes, EIA, and HRA;
- Providing expert witness services for clients at DCO and Public Inquiries;
- Lead on the delivery of projects subject to international finance requirements, including IFC PS6, EBRD PR6, ADB SPS and World Bank ESF. This will include CHA’s and developing and implementing BAPs.
- Working within the commercial teams to drive sales and business development through client facing meetings and presentations, proposal design and development, and follow through for project delivery
- Direction on the development and implementation of projects for climate adaptation and mitigation through means such as Nature Based Solutions
- Providing thought leadership both internally in ERM and externally for clients on latest trends in biodiversity and ecosystem assessments and management based on state of the art scientific knowledge.
- Mentor and develop biodiversity teams within EMEA and globally through active engagement in global technical communities.
- 10+ years’ experience in biodiversity and ecosystem impact assessment and management planning, environment and social due diligences involving biodiversity and ecosystem services risk screening;
- At least 5 years experience with IFC PS6 and/or allied standards;
- Strong team working ethic;
- Good working knowledge of current commercial trends in both technologies and environmental safeguards needs in Low Carbon Economic Transitions for the region;
- A strong external-facing, client-orientated approach;
- Expert knowledge of habitats and species;
- DCO and HRA experience;
- Proven track record in winning work
- Willingness and/or experience in managing and training junior staff
Desirable skills, competencies and experience:
- 5 years experience in the renewables sector;
- Expert skills in one or more core subjects such as bats, ornithology, reptiles, amphibians, mammals;
- Experienced in mitigation design and implementation;
- One or more European protected species licences.