Costain helps to improve people’s lives with integrated, leading edge, smart infrastructure solutions across the UK’s energy, water, transportation and defence markets. We help our clients improve their business performance by increasing capacity, improving customer service, safeguarding security, enhancing resilience, decarbonising and delivering increased efficiency. Our vision is to be the UK’s leading smart infrastructure solutions company. We will achieve this by focusing on blue chip clients whose major spending plans are underpinned by strategic national needs, regulatory commitments, legislation or essential performance requirements. We offer our clients leading edge solutions that are digitally optimised through the following five services which cover the whole lifecycle of their assets: future-shaping strategic consultancy; consultancy and advisory; digital technology solutions; asset optimisation and complex programme delivery. Our culture and values underpin everything we do.
For more information visit www.costain.com
Costain helps to improve people’s lives by deploying technology-based engineering solutions to meet urgent national needs across the UK’s energy, water and transportation infrastructures.
The Aone+ is a joint venture between Costain, Jacobs and Colas where they have been entrusted with completing a diverse range of maintenance, incident response, weather management and road engineering duties across over 4300 miles of major road network. The network include Area 12 Yorkshire and Humberside and Area 4 in Kent which commenced from June 2016 for five years and have a combined estimated value of between £140m and £165 million per year.
What will I be doing?
Main responsibilities e.g. health & safety, professional, technical operation, managerial, administrative:
- Undertake Environmental Assessment for preliminary design studies and scheme delivery, completing desk studies and site visits in accordance with the DMRB and current
- Identify and complete environmental studies or feasibility studies in line with Highways England’s objectives.
- Identify when European Protected Species licenses are required and undertake the application
- Undertake landscape condition assessments and update the Landscape Management
- Undertake quarterly Environmental Information System (EnvIS) updates using
- Attend planned site meetings for proposed schemes and routine maintenance, providing clear and appropriate environmental
- Assist all teams within the business where required with specialist environmental
- Undertake scheme design in line with A-one+
- Respond to Customer Care enquires and liaison with
- Comply with the A-one+ health & safety and environmental policies and
- Understand and implement the A-one+ Area 4 processes and
- Comply with the DMRB Vol 10 and Asset Maintenance and Operational Requirements (AMOR) and the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges
Academic qualifications/level of education.
- Degree / relevant experience in Environment,
- Ecology, Horticulture or Arboriculture.
- CSCS accreditation
Professional Qualifications / CPD
- Evidence of CPD
- Professional membership,
- EPS Li ested newt, dormouse cense e.g. great crested newt, dormouse
Specific Skills e.g. IT, technical, HGV licence
- Good IT skills
- Full Driving Licence
Knowledge e.g. of particular IT package, industry standards, commercial awareness
- Knowledge of the Asset Support Contract & Highways England systems
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of Environmental Law and best practice
- Soft Estate Management for the safety of the travelling public
- Phase 1 habitat survey
- EIA legislation and RoD/NoD
- IT literate in MS Office including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Competent with AutoCAD/GIS software
e.g. relevant qualities or characteristics such as leadership, relationship building, calm under pressure.
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Knowledge & competency in relation to Health, Safety & Environmental Management & responsibilities
- Good Verbal, Written & Presentation skills
- Preparation of Environmental studies
Experience e.g. highways, joint ventures, handling customer complaints, team development.
- Experience in Highway Design and Improvement schemes
- Protected species survey
- Experience of EPS License applications
- Experience of Environment Impact Assessment
- Experience in the management of processes and procedures within a HE ASC office
- Completion of lean competency Level 1
We listened to our employees so our Core Benefits are funded by us and include a Group Pension Scheme, Employee Assistance Programme, Life Assurance, Income Protection and funded membership to a Professional Institute. In addition to this we also offer a Private Healthcare Scheme, Private Dental Scheme, Cycle to Work, Volunteering Days and Save as You Earn Scheme.
At Costain we aim to be an accessible, diverse and inclusive organisation to continue to meet our customers’ needs. We will be industry leading in our approach and people from all backgrounds will be proud to work for Costain. Our goal is to have a workforce that is representative of society.
We actively encourage applications from candidates who have a relationship with the armed forces community whether as a currently serving member or reservist, ex-military or wounded personnel or as a member of a service family.