Our client are a leading ecology consultancy with over 35 years of experience in the field. We provide specialist advice and services to clients in the private and commercial sectors, negotiating extensively with local planning authorities, governmental departments and non-governmental organisations.
We have a particular focus on complex schemes and the effects of development on designated sites, often being called upon to present evidence at public inquiry. We have a high profile within the planning bar, working with leading counsel and often being recommended to clients to appear as expert witnesses.
As the Ecology Director, you will be responsible for providing strategic leadership and technical expertise in the field of ecology within our consultancy business. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of managing and delivering ecology projects, with a focus on complex cases requiring cross-examination, public inquiries, and Development Consent Orders (DCOs). The Ecology Director will play a pivotal role in driving the ecological agenda, managing client relationships, and contributing to the growth and success of our consultancy.
- Develop and implement a strategic vision for the ecology department aligned with business goals.
- Provide leadership and guidance to the ecology team, fostering a collaborative and innovative work culture.
- Oversee the management and delivery of ecology projects, ensuring they are completed on time and within budget.
- Lead ecological assessments and surveys, with a focus on projects involving DCOs, public inquiries, and cross-examination.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with clients, understanding their needs and ensuring high levels of client satisfaction.
- Act as the primary point of contact for clients on ecology-related matters.
- Demonstrate a high level of technical expertise in ecological assessments, impact assessments, and mitigation planning.
- Provide guidance on relevant legislation and regulations, ensuring projects comply with environmental standards.
Cross-Examination and Public Inquiries:
- Lead the ecology team in preparing for and participating in cross-examinations and public inquiries.
- Represent the company’s ecological interests and findings effectively in legal and regulatory proceedings.
- Mentor and develop the skills of junior ecologists within the team.
- Foster a culture of continuous learning and professional development.
Ideal candidate background
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Ecology, Environmental Science, or a related field. Advanced degree (Master’s or PhD) preferred.
- Proven experience working in ecology consultancy, with a focus on projects involving DCOs, public inquiries, and cross-examination.
- Track record of successful project management and delivery.
- Strong technical expertise in ecological assessments, impact assessments, and mitigation planning.
- Familiarity with relevant legislation and environmental regulations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to articulate complex ecological issues to both technical and non-technical audiences.
Leadership and Management:
- Demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to inspire and lead a team.
- Proven experience in strategic planning and execution.
Legal and Regulatory Knowledge:
- Familiarity with legal and regulatory frameworks related to ecology and environmental impact assessments.
Networking and Relationship Building:
- Strong networking skills with the ability to build and maintain relationships with clients, regulatory bodies, and industry stakeholders.
- Relevant professional certifications (e.g., Chartered Ecologist status) would be an advantage.
To apply, please email email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org