Who are we?
Darwin Ecology is a well-established ecological consultancy, specialising in bat work, with a great reputation for providing professional, innovative and conservation-led schemes. The company thrives on a collaborative approach between our two main offices near Farnham and in Shaftesbury, supported by our satellite team in Bristol. Together we provide a broad range of expertise to enable bespoke solutions for our clients across the south and south west of England.
Our role as consultants is to assist our clients to realise their development ambitions through the planning process whilst also delivering our core ‘integrated conservation’ ethos. We find solutions to deliver effective wildlife conservation on every project through the protection, mitigation and enhancement of wildlife opportunities as part of the built environment.
Educating and enthusing people we work with to share our goals for a wilder future is an important part of working at Darwin. Our work covers a diverse range of small, medium and large sized projects across a range of sectors, in relation to all UK protected species. Bat surveys and licensing are core components of our work and we aim to deliver exemplar bat compensation and mitigation on every project with our innovative in-house style.
Why are we different?
A big part of Darwin Ecology’s ethos is a hands-on approach to mitigation and enhancement measures when it comes to the final stages of a project. We are passionate about designing bespoke solutions to any issues that arise on site and encourage our team to get creative and think outside the box when it comes to supporting our clients and the species we work with.
We aim to strengthen your existing ecological specialisms, whilst being supportive about exploring your interests and taking your career in new directions. We aim to create a fun, collaborative and supportive working environment that encourages diverse approaches to the work we do.
We strive to be a fair and compassionate employer who puts ecology before business.
Who are we looking for?
We have expanded our teams to meet increasing demand and are seeking experienced Ecologists (£25-33k depending on experience) and Senior Ecologists (£33-42k) to join our South East team. As an ever-expanding company we would also be interested in hearing from experienced candidates currently based near Bristol or Shaftesbury if they consider they fit the job role.
Our south east office is located at a beautiful rural venue in Bentley, near Farnham, Surrey while our south west office is based in a business park in picturesque Shaftesbury, Dorset. Ideally we like candidates to be living within one hour of one of our office bases so they can have regular contact with the team.
Candidates should be well-rounded technical ecologists and meet the following minimum requirements:
- A degree in ecology or a related subject and post-graduation experience in ecology within a UK consultancy environment;
- Experience in a range of habitat and field surveys (including bat surveys), analysing and interpreting data and writing professional reports;
- A good understanding of the planning process and of appropriate bat mitigation strategies;
- Demonstrable team and independent working skills;
- Applicants should have membership of CIEEM;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines whilst project managing multiple projects; and
- Hold a UK driving licence, be prepared to travel to different sites in your own vehicle and to work ecology survey hours.
Additional skills that will be considered advantageous include:
- Bat Mitigation licensing experience;
- Minimum Level 1 class survey licence for bats;
- Additional survey licences or licensing experience (particularly for great crested newts or dormice); and
- Experience of the planning system and associated technical processes such as Environmental Impact Assessments, Habitats Regulations Assessments and Biodiversity Net Gain Assessments.
Above all, we’re looking for conservation-minded ecologists with a passion for wildlife and the environment.
What can we do for you?
A career at Darwin Ecology offers great opportunities for growth and professional development and we strive to ensure that our employees work in an environment that is supportive, fair, challenging and enjoyable. The role will provide an opportunity for an individual to demonstrate a broad range of ecological skills by undertaking specialist technical work, whilst working as part of a passionate, integrated, dynamic and friendly team.
In addition to a fair and representative salary, reflective of experience but with potential for relatively rapid increase, benefits to the team include:
- A generous profit-linked bonus scheme;
- Minimum 24 days annual leave;
- Generous training budget and in-house mentoring;
- Structured TOIL system.
How to get in touch
Please send a CV detailing relevant skills and experience and a cover letter to Sarah Firmin, Business Support Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org, specifying which role/location you are applying for.
Interviews will be arranged at a convenient time for the candidate upon receipt of suitable applications.
For an informal chat about the roles, please contact Mike Cummings, Director on 07748 843842.
To find out more about us, please visit our website.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com