We are delighted to be offering an exciting opportunity for an Ecologist to join the consultancy team at Maydencroft Limited. We are a small, close knit group of ecological, arboricultural, landscape and forestry consultants working as an integral part of a larger organisation which includes arborists, foresters, estate managers, grounds and landscape operatives and farmers.
The position has the option to be based from any one of our offices in Hitchin (Hertfordshire), Letchworth (Hertfordshire) and Dorney (Berkshire), with the potential for remote working.
As Ecologist for Maydencroft Limited your role will include the following:
- Undertaking Preliminary Ecological Appraisals and producing concise and professional reports;
- Contributing to Ecological Impact Assessments and mitigation strategies;
- Plan, coordinate and undertake habitat and protected species surveys;
- Produce technical ecological reports, desk studies and supporting GIS plans, and contribute ecological sections to Landscape Management Plans and Woodland Creation Design Plans;
- Contribute to EPS licence applications;
- Perform the role of an Ecological Clerk of Works (ECOW);
- Regularly liaising with clients and colleagues and providing information and assistance as required;
- Comfortable with lone working and able to effectively manage working time.
- Ecology or related subject degree or equivalent
- At least five years post-graduation consultancy experience
- Associate or Full Member of an appropriate Institute such as the Chartered Institute of Ecology and
- Environmental Management (CIEEM) or the Royal Society of Biology (RSB).
- Class licences which must include Level 2 Bats and Level 1 Great Crested Newts
- Preliminary Ecological Appraisal (PEA) and Ecological Impact Assessment (EcIA) experience which should include report writing.
- Knowledge and experience of other species/taxa survey techniques for birds, water voles and reptiles, for example.
- Ability to write clear, concise and professional reports;
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office;
- Excellent communication skills and English language skills;
- Full, clean driving licence.
- European Protected Species Mitigation (EPSM) experience
- Having been a Named Ecologist or an Accredited Agent on EPSM licences
- Badger mitigation experience
- Having been a Named Ecologist or Accredited Agent on badger mitigation licences
- Additional class licence(s) that may include; great crested newt Level 2, otter, hazel dormouse, barn owl, white-clawed crayfish and/or EPS reptiles.
This is a full time position working 40 hours a week between 08:00 -17:00 Monday to Friday. The role will require working some anti-social hours, particularly during survey season of which additional pay is offered. Annually increasing holiday entitlement. Great company benefits package. Career progression and training opportunities always available.
Working in the grounds of a beautiful country manor and farm set in the Hertfordshire countryside or a working farm with views of Windsor castle, due to our locations, all applicants must be a car driver and have access to transport. Hybrid working is also available with all equipment provided after initial training.