Western Ecology is looking for an ecologist to join our team. We provide ecological consultancy services to a diverse range of clients across the South West and into South Wales, including householder projects, large renewable energy schemes, housing developments, and rail corridor vegetation management. This would be an ideal position for someone who is ready to begin managing their own workload and move forwards to become a Senior Ecologist.
- Complete a range of ecology field surveys and assessments (for example preliminary ecology assessments, reptile, bat activity, and bat emergence surveys)
- Collate, analyse and synthesise survey data, results and record searches to compile survey reports to a high standard
- Liaise and work with clients, colleagues and other stakeholders to organise surveys and provide professional advice and support on development projects
Essential skills and requirements:
- At least three years of previous experience working within the field of ecological consultancy
- Knowledge of relevant wildlife policy and legislation, and its real-world application
- Must be willing to work regular unsocial hours associated with bat survey work during the period April to October inclusive
- Must be comfortable, where appropriate and safe to do so, with working at height.
- Largely working across Devon, Cornwall and Somerset and along the M4 corridor you will ideally be based in Devon or Somerset.
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Office
- Relevant degree
- Full, clean driving licence
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- QGIS mapping skills, including QField
- Holder of a survey licence for at least one European Protected Species
- We all work from home and provide all necessary equipment including Laptop/PC, mobile phone, survey tablet, office furniture and printer.
- Use of a company vehicle when on company business
- The opportunity to work on a variety of interesting development projects undertaking regular fieldwork and data analysis
- Working in a relaxed and friendly team environment
- Good rates of pay
- Flexible hours and we encourage staff to manage their own time and follow their passions
- Company pension scheme
- Payment of professional memberships and CPD
In the first instance, please send your CV to email@example.com.