An excellent opportunity for an Ecologist to join our Ecology team based in Cardiff. Working as an integral member of the ecology team your role as Ecologist will be instrumental in helping to achieve the timely, efficient and thorough completion of projects via desk based studies, surveying and reporting. You will work on schemes of all sizes ranging from large infrastructure projects, bridge repair/maintenance, through school/small scale housing projects.
What you’ll be doing:
- Undertake ecological surveys (as appropriate according to level of expertise and personal ecological specialisms) including: Phase 1 habitat surveys, site assessments for protected species, initial inspections for bats and follow-up surveys of activity, great crested newts using standard techniques.
- Lead and undertake Preliminary Ecological Appraisals
- Interpret survey data and advise colleagues clearly about your findings and any implications you can identify.
- Assist with mitigation design and European Species license applications
- Undertake ecological supervision of contractors for site clearance and other site operations
- Train and mentor junior staff
What we’re looking for:
- Honours degree in Ecology or a related subject, ideally with a minimum of 3 years consultancy or relevant vocational experience.
- Working knowledge of mitigation principles and environmental/wildlife legislation in relation to protected and invasive species.
- Hold or be working towards the gaining of protected species survey licenses or a recognized vocational botanical habitat qualification.
- Experience of Ecological Clerk of Works role
- A full driving license is essential for this role and a willingness to carry out surveys during unsociable hours and at times away from the office base.
About Capita Real Estate and Infrastructure
At Capita Real estate and infrastructure, we create places where people can prosper.
Today, critical infrastructure and public building projects need to be sustainable and environmentally appropriate. They must deliver value for the people that will use them – local communities and businesses – for decades to come. The wide range of demands requires a more holistic approach to design. That’s where we come in.
Our clients rely on our commitment to understanding their challenges and finding smarter solutions, and a broad range of experts offering a distinctively diverse set of skills. Our leadership team, who are practitioners themselves, understand what it takes to deliver.
Our culture is built on over 100 years of delivering excellence and creating solutions for critical infrastructure challenges. This enables us to provide a different perspective and approach; one based on what our clients need and can afford.
From engineering and architectural innovation to environmental sustainability and technologically enabled project delivery, we are renowned for our breadth of expertise and holistic, collaborative approach.
We’re a unique team specializing in infrastructure and buildings; the physical networks which keep the country moving and the places where people and communities can prosper.
What’s in it for you?
- A competitive basic salary
- 23 days’ holiday (rising to 25) with the opportunity to buy extra leave
- The opportunity to take a paid day out of the office, volunteering for our charity partners or a cause of your choice
- Company matched pension, life assurance, a cycle2work scheme, 15 weeks’ fully paid maternity, adoption and shared parental leave, paternity pay of two weeks…and plenty more
- Voluntary benefits designed to suit your lifestyle – from discounts on retail and socialising, to health & wellbeing, travel and technology
- Access to our Employee Network Groups, which represent every strand of diversity and allow colleagues to connect and learn from each other on an open, inclusive platform
- You’ll get the chance to follow your chosen career path anywhere in Capita. You’ll be joining a network of 63,000 experienced, innovative and dedicated individuals across multiple disciplines and sectors. There are countless opportunities to learn new skills and develop in your career, and we’ll provide the support you need to do just that. Our purpose is to create a better outcome for you.
What we hope you’ll do next:
Choose ‘Apply now’ to fill out our short application, so that we can find out more about you.
To view our Covid-19 and process adjustments information, please visit the Capita Careers site.
We’re an equal opportunity employer, which means we’ll consider all suitably qualified applicants regardless of gender identity or expression, ethnic origin, nationality, religion or beliefs, age, sexual orientation, disability status or any other protected characteristic. We recruit and develop our people based on merit and their passion for creating better outcomes, and we’re committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. During the application process, you’ll be asked to share your personal characteristics and data with us. This helps us understand our audience so we can make sure we are doing everything we can to attract a diverse range of people and ensure our recruitment processes are fair and inclusive.
Location: Cardiff, United Kingdom
Time Type: Full time
Contract Type: Permanent