The Mott MacDonald ecology practice is an exciting place to be; with over 120 full time ecologists with different skills, specialisms and a strong team spirit. Mott MacDonald prides itself on looking after staff and helping people to achieve their potential. We work with a diverse range of clients and projects that provide engaging opportunities for people working at Mott MacDonald.
We would love to welcome forward-thinking individuals to be part of our growing East of England team; we are recruiting an Ecologist to join in either Cambridge or Norwich.
The environmental demands in the water, transport, buildings and power sectors in the UK and beyond need environmental specialists who can think laterally. In collaboration with ecology colleagues and other environmental disciplines you will be responsible for supporting a variety of multi-disciplinary projects for a range of clients across the south east, with a key focus on leading on a range of ecological surveys, managing field data and the delivery of technical reports. The management and delivery of small-scale projects, with support from senior staff, will also be required. Project dependent, the role can span all stages of a project’s life cycle, from design conception to implementation; giving opportunities to positively influence scheme design, enhancements and promote best practice. Mott MacDonald are committed to sustainable approaches that protect biodiversity and we actively encourage our clients to do the same.
We are passionate about providing our clients with sustainable solutions by constantly looking at challenges from a fresh angle. For us to continue maintaining our collaborative client relationships and further grow our environmental capabilities. These roles will suit dynamic, proactive individuals who want to work in a growth area of our business and help support the delivery of ecological services in a fast moving, client focussed commercial environment.
If you think this could be the job you are looking for, then we would like to hear from you.
- A degree in biology/ecology or directly related subject is essential and an additional higher degree would be an advantage. We are looking for candidates with a combination of the following:
- Member of Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management or equivalent
- Experience in the UK ecological consultancy market with a strong client facing approach
- Strong knowledge of wildlife legislation including planning processes and/or EIA/HRA assessments and undertaking surveys.
- Personal conservation licence for at least one protected species (or working towards this)
- Excellent knowledge, understanding and experience of applying relevant guidance for surveys
- Experience in planning, assisting and delivering baseline or species/habitat specific surveys to fulfil project requirements related to EIA, HRA etc. Ornithology skills would be of particular interest.
- Proficiency in report writing skills, displaying high standards with attention to detail and ability to write accurate and concise reports, such as ecological appraisals, survey reports, method statement
- Experience of undertaking Ecological Clerk of Works roles.
- An awareness of the move to UK Habitats classification system and its link to Biodiversity Net Gain calculations.
- Willingness to mentor more junior staff
- Ability to travel and undertake fieldwork in the UK
We are an employee owned company and are small enough to have a family feel but large enough to work on some of the biggest projects in the UK. We pay our ecologists in line with their engineering colleagues. Our projects are interesting, technically challenging and we excel in offering innovative solutions. Our ecology teams across the UK are highly experienced in their fields and are proactive when working together imparting knowledge. We are a well-respected company with strong values. We have an active fully inclusive sports and social team, who have a number of events throughout the year including sports day, skiing trips and environment forums.
We can offer:
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Competitive annual leave and the option to purchase additional annual leave
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Life insurance
- Enhanced parental leave
- Annual company performance bonus scheme – Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits scheme to suit you, including cycle to work & Interest free season ticket loans etc.
For more information about our Environment sector click here
For more information about our Water sector click here
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at email@example.com and we will talk to you about how we can assist.
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.
More about Mott MacDonald
We’re a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients’ businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each person’s differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence