Balfour Beatty Vinci has an exciting opportunity for an Ecologist to join our team to work in Birmingham.
Job number: BBV00763
Career area: Design Engineering
Location: UK, West Midlands, Birmingham
Contract type: Permanent
Co-ordinate with DJV discipline leads the development of the Basis of Design Ecology (consolidation and Stage 2 DD) and provide technical expertise/ support for Environmental & Design team in the Ecology permanent and temporary design.
What you’ll be doing
- Collaborate, attend handover meetings with HS2 and EWC Ecology Leads to ensure efficient transfer of information for BBVs requirements
- Plan and review ecological survey requirements
- Lead and prepare the consultation package for Ecology mitigation works & Stage 2 / baseline surveys
- Co-ordinate, attend key consultation meetings with HS2, Natural England, the Wildlife Trusts and other statutory consultees
- Ensure Ecology design process is setup correctly during Consolidation and DD Stage and develop BBV Ecology Design Assurance
- Helps develop robust and comprehensive ecological mitigation measures to deal with environmental risks, working collaboratively with the whole project team
- Accountable for fit for purpose methodology and assumptions that can withstand external scrutiny
- Review and assure all ecological design deliverables including ESMPs, Biosecurity Management Plans, Environmental Fencing, Ecology Mitigation Schedules, NNL report and dashboard, Ecology Monitoring report and schedules, Enhanced Green/Grey Bridges Assessment, Ecology Surveys geodatabases: Data & Proforma)
Who we’re looking for
Member of an environmental/ecological professional body
A sound understanding of biodiversity and ecological impact/mitigation issues on major infrastructure schemes
Good experience of Ecology permanent / temporary design, No Net Loss/Net Gain mechanisms and tools
Good computer skills particularly GIS tools (QGIS/ARCGIS or similar) and use of Office Suite to manage large data
Experienced with dealing with Natural England, Woodland Trust, Wildlife Trust and other Statutory bodies on such issues
Experienced with protected species permits & licences applications and pre-engagement with Statutory bodies
Experience in planning and undertaking all manner of protected species surveys and mitigation works
Understanding of the benefits of working collaboratively to obtain the best outcome for the project
Good interpersonal and communication skills
Determination to see tasks through to completion, with excellent planning and organisation skills
Why work for us
Balfour Beatty VINCI (BBV) is responsible for designing and building part of the most exciting and challenging infrastructure project in Europe: HS2.
We are building the West Midlands section of HS2s Phase One route, spanning approximately 90km from Long Itchington in Warwickshire to the centre of Birmingham and on to Handsacre in Staffordshire. We will be employing thousands of people from the region to design and build the civil infrastructure for HS2 and we are looking for a wide range of skills to join the team and support this unique and ground breaking project.
Diversity and Inclusion: We aim to be a leader in equality, diversity and inclusion by creating a safe inclusive working environment for all – living our values of Safety, Respect, Integrity and Leadership. We are positive and inclusive about making adjustments, providing flexible working, encouraging all staff to engage in a diverse range of year round learning opportunities and provide personal development opportunities. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture.
Flexible working: Flexible or agile working is encouraged at BBV and we recognise the value and diversity of candidates which this can bring to our business operations. Not every role can provide a variety of working patterns to suit people’s personal needs however we are happy to discuss agile working opportunities at BBV with you.
Disability confident: We care about being inclusive and that means we encourage applications from people with diverse set of backgrounds and experiences. BBV is Disability Confident committed and we welcome applications from candidates with a disability.
Balfour Beatty VINCI is a long established joint venture between two global leaders in the delivery of critical infrastructure. Working together for over 30 years, we have been successful in delivering a number of significant infrastructures; creating unrivalled expertise and capability across rail, highways and aviation sectors in the UK and beyond.
In 2008, we announced our formal alliance with the aim of delivering modern and innovative solutions to the UK’s infrastructure needs. Since then, our collaboration has gone from strength to strength. We’ve successfully bid and delivered many key projects for Crossrail and Highways England Smart Motorways Programme. Balfour Beatty VINCI is a powerhouse for critical infrastructure.