SYSTRA are looking to expand our Signature Team in the UK, working on high profile infrastructure projects such as Crossrail and HS2, we are building on our 50 years of success in the UK by growing our team and looking for passionate people to deliver projects across our portfolio.
We are now seeking to strengthen and grow our Engineering team in our Birmingham office, initially working as part of our Main Works Civils High Speed 2 project team, by recruiting an Ecologist.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate a range of experience within the Civil Engineering/Transportation/Infrastructure sectors.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an enthusiastic Ecologist to further their career in a highly motivated and inspirational environment.
Main Duties of the role:
- Programming and coordination of data sets and site surveys and organising specialist ecological surveys as and when required. Ensuring tasks are correctly priced and seeing through delivery on time and to budget.
- Maintaining and constantly improving the ecological surveying and reporting procedure to increase effective information transfer throughout the schemes delivery process.
- Advise internal and external clients / colleagues on ecological matters
- Conducting site walkovers / surveys
- Undertake ecological assessment work as part of EIA’s
- Liaise with designers, contractors and the client regarding ecological elements of schemes.
- Apply for licences and consents and understand undertakings and assurances associated with planning commitments.
- Deliver ecological training/workshops and element specific toolbox talks.
- Advise sub-contractors and in-house teams working on ecologically sensitive works.
- Actively promote Health and Safety in the workplace, setting a good example to other employees and ensuring awareness of and compliance with all legal requirements via the processes set out in the Health and Safety Procedures. Ensuring Team compliance on H&S for site visits
- For all works – ensure compliance at all times with European and UK Environmental and Wildlife Laws.
- Recommendations for environmental innovation and improvements for engineering schemes including the promotion of sustainable design solutions.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Degree in a relevant environmental subject
- Membership of a relevant professional body
- Holding relevant licences i.e. GCN and/or bat licence.
- ECI Contract experience on infrastructure projects would be an advantage.
- Standardised habitat survey methodologies (Phase 1, NVC etc.)
- UK protected and invasive species
- Key Environmental/Ecological legislation
- Faunal survey methodologies
- Biodiversity Action Planning
- Habitat creation techniques
- Ecological Management Plans
- Habitat management theory and practice
- UK species identification and taxonomy
- Conservation management and planning
- Environmental condition assessment
- Arboricultural Expertise
- Experience in Biodiversity off setting / No Net Loss
In return, we offer a very competitive salary with a comprehensive and attractive benefits package with opportunities for flexible working and career development.
Please note, we do have a preferred supplier list for the provision of recruitment services and we will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL.
SYSTRA is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. We are an Equal Opportunities Employer and value applications from all.