Ecologist (Biodiversity Advisor) W/M
Business Unit specific context
The MENS’ BU (Project structuring, Operation and New Services) is one of the world leaders in the financial project structuring of PPP projects, as well as in the operation of infrastructures and services. In the road sector, Egis operates and maintains 44 roads and highways, including civil structures such as bridges, viaducts and tunnels. Through 28 operating companies, Egis employs more than 9,300 people in more than 20 countries, i.e. nearly 4,400 km.
In the airport sector, our BU operates, maintains and develops a network of 17 airports around the world, handling more than 30 million passengers and 330,000 tons of freight per year.
The MENS’ BU also offers a wide range of services for its customers such as electronic toll collection, interoperability and on-street parking management.
M25, one of our flagship projects!
Egis and our joint venture partners have formed Connect Plus Services (CPS), which is the company responsible for managing one of the busiest motorways in Europe through Highways England’s largest Design build Finance operate (DBFO) contract. With over 600 people working across CPS and the contract running to 2039, this is a great opportunity to build an important part of your career on a major highways project.
On the M25 and other international Egis projects, our teams have extensive opportunities to develop diverse ranges of expertise and experience whilst contributing to the successful delivery of key services.
- Lead on the DEFRA Biodiversity Metric 2 Appraisal Tool (or as adapted for Highways England)
- Build up baseline Metric data for the DBFO Co. To assess post-scheme Metric data using scheme proposals and developing such proposals with the Assistant Ecologist.
- Provide ecological advice to designers and contractors on site
- Undertake environmental assessments
- Undertake Extended Phase 1 or similar habitat surveys for Biodiversity Metric calculations.
- Data input using GIS Collector App and preparation of reports
- Advise on Biodiversity metrics, ecological matters and habitat/conservation management
- Develop Ecological Designated Funds schemes with Biodiversity metrics in line with the Road Investment Strategy 2 and 3 periods.
- Calculate biodiversity off-setting units required
- Supervise contractors undertaking works on site
- Support the EIA team by providing baseline and post-scheme biodiversity calculations and Ecological advice where necessary.
- Other Environmental Team tasks as required
- Working Arrangements (Need for travel etc.):
- Current UK driving licence
- To be based in CPS offices at South Mimms with significant travel (approximately 10k miles per annum) around the M25 network. A business needs car will be supplied.
- Significant field surveys during Spring and Summer.
- Lone working may be required.
- Occasional night work may be required to support ecological supervision.
- Minimum of a degree in a relevant ecological or environmental management with demonstratable practical work in Phase 1 or similar surveys
- Membership of a professional body relevant to ecology, such as the Chartered Institute for Ecology and Environmental Management
- Working knowledge of the DEFRA Biodiversity Metric 2 calculation, UK Habitat Classification and tools.
- Holder of one or more of any European Protected Species licence issued by Natural England – preferably for great crested newts and hazel dormice
- Proven ecological survey, ecological mitigation and site management skills
- Previous project management experience or delivery of environmental improvements preferred but not essential.
- Working knowledge of Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- Understanding of landscape management techniques
- Full UK driving licence
- Understanding of the Environmental Impact Assessment process
- Knowledge of ISO14001 and Environmental Management Systems
- Some industry experience preferable but not mandatory
- Competent in Microsoft Office Applications
Europe, United Kingdom
Minimum level of education required
4-Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Science
Minimum level of experience required