Atkins, Balfour Beatty and Egis Road Operations UK are part of a consortium, creating Connect Plus Services, a unique partnership with a collective strength in highways asset care from finance, through to design, build, maintenance as well as day to day operation.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Ecologist (Biodiversity Advisor) to join the Connect Plus Services’ Environmental Team, looking after the natural environment and developing sustainable solutions on a diverse array of habitats and landscapes surround the M25 network.
Main Purpose of the Job:
- Identify and design ecological Designated Funds schemes
- Lead on identification and execution of Biodiversity Net gain for Improvement schemes.
- To organise and carry out ecological surveys on the M25 DBFO
- To provide mentoring to Assistant Ecologist
- Nature of Formal Contacts (with DBFO Co / HE etc.):DBFO Co, Highways England, other members of CPS and external stakeholders including Statutory Environmental Bodies.
- To lead on the DEFRA Biodiversity Metric 2 Appraisal Tool (or as adapted for Highways England)
- To build up baseline Metric data for the DBFO Co. To assess post-scheme Metric data using scheme proposals and developing such proposals with the Assistant Ecologist.
- To provide ecological advice to designers and contractors on site
- To undertake environmental assessments
- Undertake Extended Phase 1 or similar habitat surveys for Biodiversity Metric calculations.
- Data input using GIS Collector App and preparation of reports
- Advise on Biodiversity metrics, ecological matters and habitat/conservation management
- Development of ecological Designated Funds schemes with Biodiversity metrics in line with the Road Investment Strategy 2 and 3 periods.
- Calculating biodiversity off-setting units required
- Supervision of contractors undertaking works on site
- Support the EIA team by providing baseline and post-scheme biodiversity calculations and Ecological advice where necessary.
- Other Environmental Team tasks as required
- Working Arrangements (Need for travel etc.):
- Current UK driving licence
- To be based in CPS offices at South Mimms with significant travel (approximately 10k miles per annum) around the M25 network. A business needs car will be supplied.
- Significant field surveys during Spring and Summer.
- Lone working may be required.
- Occasional night work may be required to support ecological supervision.
Qualifications / Skills / Experience:
- Minimum of a degree in a relevant ecological or environmental management with demonstratable practical work in Phase 1 or similar surveys
- Membership of a professional body relevant to ecology, such as the Chartered Institute for Ecology and Environmental Management
- Working knowledge of the DEFRA Biodiversity Metric 2 calculation, UK Habitat Classification and tools.
- Holder of one or more of any European Protected Species licence issued by Natural England – preferably for great crested newts and hazel dormice
- Proven ecological survey, ecological mitigation and site management skills
- Previous project management experience or delivery of environmental improvements preferred but not essential.
- Working knowledge of Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- Understanding of landscape management techniques
- Full UK driving licence
- Understanding of the Environmental Impact Assessment process
- Knowledge of ISO14001 and Environmental Management Systems
- Some industry experience preferable but not mandatory
- Competent in Microsoft Office Applications
- Personal Attributes:
- Ability to communicate at all levels of the organisation
- Excellent communicator and team player
- Passionate about implementing biodiversity change supported by using existing tools.
- A problem solver
- Good time management skills, and ability to act autonomously
- An interest in developing your career within the environmental management industry
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.