The successful candidate will be an experienced Ecological or Environmental Clerks of Work (ECoW or EnvCoW) on construction sites and have experience in carrying out bird surveys, European Protected Species and / or Phase 1 Habitat surveys, as well as in applying for EPS licences.
We are seeking to recruit an Ecological Clerk of Works (ECoW)-Ecologist to join our growing team to support technical excellence and business growth. The position will be based in the North of Scotland, from our Inverness office and may require travel, occasional overnight stays throughout the U.K., and further afield depending on project requirements.
A positive place to work, Mabbett aims to implement the motto ‘See a Difference’ in everything that we do including how we have managed our business throughout the pandemic and drive back to growth.
Qualifications and Experience Required
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A BSc or MSc in Ecology/EIA or related discipline.
- Membership of a relevant professional body such as CIEEM and/or be Chartered.
- CSCS card.
- Experience as an Ecological or Environmental Clerks of Work (ECoW or EnvCoW).
- Construction site operations, how ecology and environmental issues impact on these operations, and how to deliver pragmatic mitigation solutions.
- Experience of management of CAR licensing, SUDS and water management on-site.
- Ecological project management.
- Pragmatic relationship building ability – with all stakeholders, communicating successfully with individuals at all levels to achieve the goals of the ECoW.
- Professional services delivery.
This advertisement is a marketplace call for an experienced individual to support our business growth and technical expertise. Typical technical project experience expectations are described below. However, if your experience, business network and technical areas of expertise are such that you think you should be talking to us about your career development with Mabbett, please get in touch and make your case.
- Experience working as Environmental Manager or ECoW on construction sites.
- Excellent report writing and client liaison skills.
- Management of subcontractors.
- A successful track record of managing the delivery of ecology and habitat surveys in Scotland (e.g. breeding birds, bat, water vole, otter, badger, Scottish wildcat, pine marten and other EPS).
- Handling / management of ecological survey data.
- Addressing of ecological/environmental planning requirements such as preparation of Habitat Management Plans, Monitoring Plans or CEMPs.
- Experience of bird surveys, European Protected Species and / or Phase 1 Habitat surveys.
- Experience in applying for EPS licences.
- Good understanding of best practice guidelines, survey methods, planning processes and environmental assessment methods.
- Experience of successfully leading communications with regulators and stakeholders such as landowners, SEPA, SNH etc.
- GIS capability.
- Experience of EIA and ecology related legislation, Habitats Regulations Appraisal (HRA).
- Commercial expertise and ability to develop scopes of work and budgets for proposals and win work.
- An ability to deliver practical solutions taking into account commercial considerations.
- Organised, logical and structured with attention to detail.
- A great team player.
- Great communication skills.
- Ability to pragmatically apply ecology and site environmental management requirements.
- Creative thinking and ability to identify and drive new business opportunities and projects.
- Business acumen and awareness.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Professional software packages, including Excel.
- Proficient in GIS.
- Full U.K. driving licence and able to drive currently.
- Language skills (English minimum).
- Takes ownership.
- Desire and enthusiasm to be successful.
- Tenacious; a ‘self-starter’ with commercial awareness.
- Interest and motivation for continuous professional development.
- Good professional network for both sub-contractor use.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to motivate others to implement solutions and to drive sales.
- Adaptable and flexible.
The role offers excellent career progression opportunities within a successful and expanding team.
The selected candidates will work within a supportive and driven team, contributing to meeting Group targets for sales, successful project delivery and client satisfaction.
Some travel is involved, for which a company pool car is available and for which a valid driving licence will be required. Occasionally travel by air will be required, for which a valid passport and photo ID is required.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications, experience, and position requirements.
Mabbett is an equal opportunities employer and offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits programmes with growth opportunities. Mabbett supports career development to include active participation in membership of professional organisations. For the right candidate, the opportunity exists to work towards becoming a shareholder of the firm.
For further information on this vacancy and/or to apply for this position in complete confidence, please send a CV and Covering Letter, identifying how your qualifications, experience and attributes match the job description above. Please also provide an indication of salary expectations.