We are looking for Consultant Ecologists to join our South West ecology team, as we start the next exciting phase of our growth, becoming part of the 20,000-strong global Tetra Tech family.
We want talented individuals who are keen to learn with previous existing consultancy experience who are developing a set of field-survey skills preferably including bats, GCN and dormice and report writing skills. Those holding protected species licences (NRW bat licence or Natural England class 2 bat licence desirable) or working towards them are favourable (see bat licence incentivisation scheme below).
In return, you will play an integral part the team, directly supporting our project delivery, while gaining valuable support and mentoring. You will carry out a wide range of field surveys over the busy survey season, alongside office-based work such as data analysis, report writing, survey planning, and attendance at regular team meetings. You will be regularly involved with surveys and mitigation schemes for bats, reptiles, great crested newts, dormice, badgers and birds. In addition, we are also working on multiple sites requiring Biodiversity Net Gain assessments and enhancement, management plans and the opportunity for you to be actively involved in implementing these on the ground.
Given our flexible working model we have adopted as a business, we are flexible on your location but preference would be for Bristol and Cardiff region. We are focused on recruiting the best ecologists so are happy to discuss flexible working patterns, including part-time or fixed-term contracts, with the right candidate.
We understand how ecologists think and work and have introduced tailored measures to allow the team to fulfil their potential:
- With 60 permanent ecologists across 12 offices, we work hard to operate as one cohesive team to minimise time away from home, maximise bespoke training and support from our in-house experts regardless of location, and to allow the best people to work on the projects that interest them and deliver them to the highest standards.
- All our teams are successfully working remotely and flexibly at present, and our IT systems enable us to work seamlessly, so your proximity to one of our offices is not a barrier to joining us – we want to focus on your talents & skills, not your postcode.
- Given that all grades of ecologist complete site visits and meetings, we provide cars or car allowances to every member of the team, including for personal use.
- Whilst your technical skills are vital, we also want to encourage the development of well-rounded consultants who can talk about all stages of a project rather than just a niche area.
- Our bat handling licence incentivisation scheme thanks those ecologists who spend time and effort in achieving their Class 1 licence – we know it’s not easy! And to show our support of personal development, we award a significant financial bonus to anyone achieving Chartered Environmentalist/Ecologist status through CIEEM.
- We also have an established TOIL system which allows ecologists to manage their time to suit their specific personal needs, alongside the seasonal demands of the role.
- We work closely with many other teams, including our own Planners, Archaeologists, Landscape Architects, Masterplanners and Engineers. With a culture of openness, there is always someone within the business who can provide advice and support for almost any query.
A relevant degree, full driving licence, membership of (or eligibility to join) CIEEM and a legal entitlement to work in the UK are essential for this role which would require some working away from home for periods of time.
If the timing’s not quite right for you, do still to get in touch as we will always consider bespoke working arrangements or deferred start dates to secure the best people.
About Tetra Tech:
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of high-end consulting and engineering services for projects worldwide. We combine the resources of a global, multi-billion dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in more than 400 locations around the world. We are Leading with Science® to provide sustainable and resilient solutions for our clients.
We offer a competitive salary, contributory pension, health cover and a range of flexible benefits including retail vouchers, travel insurance and variable holiday (renewable annually). We promote flexible working and are open to discussing the possibility of reduced hours, remote working, flexible start and finish times, compressed hours or potential job share’s.
We are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy / maternity.