AECOM is seeking a talented Consultant Ecologist, to join our highly respected, dynamic and forward-thinking Central England Ecology Team (based in Birmingham, Nottingham or Chesterfield). If you have experience already in the field of ecology, or perhaps have an engineering background looking for a career change, we can provide the platform to achieve your goals. You will be offered support to expand your experience and develop within a structured, friendly team environment. This is a tremendous opportunity in one of the largest award-winning ecological consultancies in UK & Ireland; who is at the forefront of Biodiversity Net Gain.
The role will involve delivery of ecological consultancy and advisory services to both internal and external clients to a high level of technical quality and to programme and budget. The ideal candidate will have good survey, communication and report writing skills and be comfortable working on large infrastructure projects, particularly road schemes.
- Working as part of the existing network of AECOM ecologists, and collaborating with our wider teams, to promote best practice and innovation across the ecology business;
- Supporting liaison with project managers on winning, delivery and management of ecological work, focusing on large infrastructure projects, particularly road schemes including Highways England Designated Funds;
- Assisting with managing the technical and financial performance of ecological projects to meet budgets and deadlines;
- Communicating with line managers, project managers, clients, project teams and other members of the ecology team in person, by telephone, e-mail, letters and reports;
- Compliance with internal business management procedures, including health and safety and technical quality of all advice and outputs;
- Organising and carrying out desk studies and field-based habitat, botanical, protected and non-native invasive species surveys;
- Employ innovative survey methods developed on previous assignments;
- Undertake analysis, evaluation interpretation and presentation of ecological data, including through ecological impact assessments and mitigation strategies;
- Performing the role of an Ecological Clerk of Works on construction projects;
- Lead surveys and have good report writing skills;
- Undertake other tasks which add value to the development of the ecology team or support wider environmental business goals, as required; and
- Buddy / mentor for junior staff.
- Experience within a consultancy environment (or similar), providing ecology advice to clients within multi-disciplinary teams;
- Excellent field skills and a keen interest and understanding of British Wildlife;
- Track record of supporting ecology inputs to projects, including assessment in accordance with the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM) guidelines and Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB), and design and/or construction management on major infrastructure projects;
- Experience of co-ordinating and leading a wide range of field surveys, with willingness to travel between project sites;
- Skills or interests in Unmanned-Aerial-Vehicles (drones), visualisation, environmental DNA, or digital app development to support ecology work;
- Have demonstrable experience in producing a range of reports and providing ecological advice to clients/stakeholders on time and within budget;
- Knowledge and skills in GIS would be an advantage; and
- Experience of working to create a positive team culture.
- BSc in a relevant subject (a higher degree would be an advantage
Your benefits will include:
Helping our employees achieve a healthy work-life balance is important to us. If you join AECOM, as well as receiving a competitive salary, you’ll also have the opportunity to explore flexible working arrangements. Core benefits include 25 days’ annual leave, company pension scheme, private medical insurance, life assurance and one paid annual professional institution membership fee. You can also choose from a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
You’ll also be able to give back to communities with up to two paid CSR days each year. Through our charity, The AECOM Foundation, you can volunteer to support children in developing countries. And if you’re a member of the Reserve Forces you’ll receive an additional 15 days paid leave for training commitments.
What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is pioneering the future . Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come. We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions inclusion, diversity and overall employee well-being through programs supported by company leadership. Our core values define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only delivering a better world , but working to “make amazing happen” in each neighborhood, community and city we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
Position Status Full-Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 224209BR
Locations Birmingham, Chesterfield, Nottingham
Clearance Required No
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.