ARE YOU LOOKING FOR; A SECURE ENVIRONMENT TO WORK; Work in the NORTHWEST; Wide Range of Projects; HIGHLY TRAINED, WITH NO CPD LIMIT; Great Work Life Balance; BEING A VALUED TEAM MEMBER; YOUR OPINION MATTERS; to feel supported; Flexibility & Office & Outside Work?
Job Spec: Consultant Ecologist and/or a Senior Ecologist with a bat licence.
Contract type: Permanent/ Full time or Part time
Office Location: Preston, Lancashire
Consultant Ecologist Salary: £24k up to £30k dependent upon experience.
Essential Criteria – Consultant Ecologist:
- Proven experience working as a Consultant Ecologist within an ecological consultancy, ideally 3-5 years’ experience;
- Good understanding of UK planning policy and wildlife legislation;
- Capable of undertaken Preliminary Ecological Appraisals and pulling Ecological Assessments together;
- Excellent report writing skills;
- Specialist ecological knowledge; in a relevant area of ecology, such as botanical skills (FISC 3 min) or protected species licences;
- Strong project management skills;
- Excellent communicative, team working and organisational skills;
- Interest in learning about bats;
- A Full driving licence with valid business insurance.
- Bat class licence Level 1 or 2;
- Derogation licence holders (bats);
- Bat call analysis;
- Good botany skills FISC 4 or above;
- Working knowledge of Biodiversity Net Gain;
- Capable of producing maps using QGIS;
- A degree qualification in a relevant subject;
- Membership of CIEEM (Eligible for) or other body;
For Senior Consultant Ecologist, we would expect many of the desirable attributes to be achieved. Salary would also based upon proven experience.
Ecology Services Ltd are celebrating our 20th year of business. We are a small friendly consultancy that is dedicated to specialising in ecology. We are based in the Northwest and 95% of our work is regional.
We have a great Client base and many repeat clients that we have good working relationship with, ranging from small schemes to large strategic schemes.
Our projects are highly diverse. In the last 12 months works have included botanical NVC surveys, HRA assessments, Conditions Assessments, BNG large and small sites, River Conditions Assessments, BREEAM, Bird Surveys including Barn owl inspections and surveys, Sand lizard surveys, Natterjack surveys, Dormouse monitoring, Terrestrial invertebrate surveys, Water vole survey, Otter surveys, Badger surveys, Bats (Inspections, (GLA/PFA), Activity surveys (trees/buildings/structures), Habitat surveys and Road monitoring surveys, Great crested newts surveys and eDNA and ECOW. Derogation licences utilise the full spectrum of options available including District level Licensing, Organisational Licensing, Low Impact Licenses, Earned Recognition Licenses and European Protected Species Licences. Water vole CL31 clearance works, RAM’s. and Habitat Management/Enhancement Plans. Not forgetting Preliminary Ecological Appraisals (extended Phase 1 & UKHab) and Ecological Assessments and Invasive species surveys/mitigation.
We have a highly experienced top end team to learn from that are passionate about ecology, their skills compliment once another and we share our knowledge freely. All employees are trained to a very high standard, through a mix of in-house and external training courses/shadowing/conferences/events and volunteering. There is no limit on Career Professional Development (CPD). Annual Appraisals are standard and we continually assess providing feedback throughout the year and stretch employee’s knowledge where ever possible.
After working in the industry for 23 years, it is apparent that Ecologists need a healthy work life balance. Hours are 37.5 per week and we generally work 2 nights a week, usually dusk surveys, as we are fully equipped with thermal and in-infrared night vision equipment. Dawns are a very rare thing. Hours worked over 37.5 per week are accrued as toil, and during the survey season hours are managed by employees and what works for them.
We have an office in Longton, near Preston, but staff are fully equipped to work from home. Usually, employees that live some distance from the office work from home at least a couple of days a week. We do find it easier to train people in the office, as they learn from listening to questions and other employees’ schemes.
In addition, to the above:
- Paid time off for doctors/dentist appointments, our staff health is paramount;
- Nest Pension Scheme;
- Paid professional memberships such as CIEEM;
- 20 days annual leave plus bank holidays, which increases after 5 years to 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays;
- Mix of office/home hybrid working;
- Office closes over Christmas;
- Relaxed and friendly team environment with social events;
- Use of company vehicles.
If you feel that you have the right experience and qualities to join our ecology team please e-mail your CV, salary expectations and a covering letter explaining why you feel you are a suitable candidate for this role to:
Ecology Services Ltd.
For more details about Ecology Services Ltd, please refer to our website: https://ecologyservices.co.uk
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com