AECOM is seeking an Associate Ecologist to expand and strengthen the existing ecology team in our Leeds office
Our UK Ecology Team comprises over 100 ecologists based across the UK and covers all terrestrial, freshwater and marine habitats. We provide our clients with the full range of ecological services including specialist habitat and species surveys, impact assessment, advice on biodiversity mitigation, offsetting and enhancement, and management planning for biodiversity. Our projects include high profile major transport and infrastructure schemes, conventional and renewable power development, as well as other industrial and commercial development projects.
We therefore offer the opportunity to work across the UK on high profile, challenging and innovative projects and, with AECOM now one of the largest international environmental consultancies, there may also be the potential to work overseas from time to time as the role develops.
The job will entail:
- Working as part of the existing network of AECOM ecologists within the UK and Ireland;
- Contributing to and implementing a strategy for growth of the aquatic ecology business across the UK and Ireland;
- Assisting in the winning, delivery and management of ecological/EIA projects;
- Responsibility for technical and financial performance of ecological projects and the AECOM ecology team in S. England;
- Writing and reviewing Environmental Statement (ES) chapters and other ecological assessments;
- Providing technical review of ecological reports and other deliverables as required;
- Managing and mentoring staff;
- Liaising with clients, project managers and other project stakeholders including statutory bodies; and
- Undertaking other tasks to support the wider environmental business, as required.
With AECOM, you can go as far as your ability and desire will take you. It’s about your interests and passions. It’s about the experiences you bring with you. And, it’s about your goals and aspirations. When you join us, you’ll find a highly competitive benefits package and the support to develop your career in an environment that fosters your talents and encourages new ideas. We provide you with the opportunity to collaborate with a diverse workforce of highly talented professionals on projects that impact our world for the better.
- Experience in leadership relating to the safety, technical and commercial aspects of an ecology business, including line management;
- Substantive ecology consultancy and related business development experience in UK and Ireland, particularly for freshwater ecology, including development and implementation of strategies for business growth;
- Detailed knowledge of the practical application of UK wildlife legislation, planning policy and Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), including the Water Framework Directive;
- Experience of ecological assessment in accordance with the CIEEM guidelines for terrestrial impact assessment in the UK;
- Experience of managing and/or directing ecological projects;
- Excellent report writing and technical review skills, particularly for aquatic ecology;
- Experience as a specialist in aquatic (freshwater) ecology, including leading teams and projects;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- UK Driving licence;
- Flexible approach to working hours to meet the demands of the role, including occasional longer/and or unsociable hours, and to work away from home on occasions;
- Ability to manage own time, and to mentor and motivate others;
- Full Member of CIEEM with a commitment to your professional behaviour and development
Your benefits will include:
Helping our employees achieve a healthy work-life balance is important to us. If you join AECOM, as well as receiving a competitive salary, you’ll also have the opportunity to explore flexible working arrangements. Core benefits include 25 days’ annual leave, company pension scheme, private medical insurance, life assurance and one paid annual professional institution membership fee. You can also choose from a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
You’ll also be able to give back to communities with up to two paid CSR days each year. Through our charity, The AECOM Foundation, you can volunteer to support children in developing countries. And if you’re a member of the Reserve Forces you’ll receive an additional 15 days paid leave for training commitments.
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It’s a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world’s most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It’s a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It’s what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES: Please note that AECOM does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, AECOM will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, AECOM explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of AECOM.
Job Category Engineering – Environmental
Business Group Design and Consulting Services Group (DCS)
Country United Kingdom
Position Status Full-Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 188334BR
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.