With an in-depth commercial understanding of the ecological calendar, our team can advise on the surveys most appropriate for any development programme. Join us in providing pragmatic solutions to all ecological problems with a focus on economical and cost-effective solutions for clients.
Who we are & what we stand for
BWB is a multi-award-winning engineering and environmental design consultancy with a proven reputation for technical excellence and exceptional client satisfaction. We’re rated Platinum Investors In People (IIP), a prestigious accolade that demonstrates our commitment to our people and establishes us as an employer of choice. We invest in our people and ensure they have everything they need to develop a fantastic career. We extensively research, benchmark and review all salaries and benefits against others within the industry.
Join BWB and your career will not conform to the traditional models of yesterday but will be a fulfilling and challenging journey into tomorrow’s digital age; a journey that you will play an active role in defining!
At BWB you matter, and you will make a difference. A difference to the world you live in; the communities you engage with; even the development of your career and the profession.
What you’ll be doing
The role will include but not be limited to:
- Undertaking protected species and habitat surveys on a variety of sites across the UK;
- Assisting with the preparation of technical reports for a variety of Clients;
- Assisting with preparation of fee quotations for Clients; and
- Supporting with biodiversity net gain assessment, including GIS habitat mapping.
The role will provide an opportunity for an individual to demonstrate a broad range of skills by undertaking specialist technical work, whilst working as part of a small, integrated, progressive environmental team. Our work is varied and widespread, supporting our Clients on projects both locally and throughout the UK. The Ecology team at BWB is growing rapidly and this is an exciting time to be part of this new chapter.
What you’ll bring
The successful applicant will either currently be an Assistant Ecologist or Ecology Graduate ready to take the next steps. We are looking for applicants with a minimum of 1 year’s consultancy experience / work experience.
You will have knowledge of standards and guidelines, UK Wildlife Legislation and up and coming changes that will affect your specialist area.
The ideal candidate will have skills and experience in the following areas:
- At least 1 year’s experience within an Ecological Consultancy.
- Knowledge of Preliminary Ecological Appraisals and biodiversity net gain
- Protected Species Surveys across a variety of sites and species.
- Report writing for an Ecological Consultancy advantageous, although not compulsory.
- Use of habitat mapping, ideally QGIS, advantageous.
- Experience of office-based tasks, such as producing fee proposals, carrying out desk studies and liaising with clients.
- A Degree/ Masters in Ecology or a related subject.
- Excellent verbal, written and communication skills and a keen eye for detail.
- Already hold, or be interested in working towards, Membership of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM).
- Protected Species Licences or at least one reference for such licences, and experience of Biodiversity Net Gain, would be advantageous.
- A full driving licence and access to a car.
What we offer
- 25 days holiday (with the option to purchase more), pension, life assurance and healthcare.
- Perkbox, Cycle to Work, paid volunteering days, regular social events, rewards scheme and much more.
- Access to personalised fully funded Learning & Development opportunities including charterships and paid professional subscriptions.
- Hybrid working.