We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic and energetic ecologist with 1 to 2+ years’ experience to join our small team of experienced ecologists at our busy consultancy based in Cornwall, initially for a fixed period of 6 to 8 months with the potential for it to be extended to a permanent contract. Your primary role would be to assist our lead bat ecologist with carrying out initial visual bat surveys, emergence surveys and sound analysis along with undertaking reptile surveys, Dormouse surveys, Extended Phase One Habitat surveys and all other aspects of our work which includes both development and conservation related projects.
The majority of our work is based in Cornwall, but we also regularly work in Devon and further afield on larger projects. We work for a wide variety of clients on projects ranging from barn conversions to large scale residential, commercial and infrastructure projects. We work out of a central office based in Truro and will provide you with in-house training, support for professional membership of CIEEM and, where appropriate, external training to provide career enhancement and progression in line with the needs of the business.
The successful applicant will need to meet the following requirements:
- Have a professional attitude, be enthusiastic, energetic and willing to face any challenges the job presents
- Have good communication skills, be personable and confident when talking to clients
- Be able to work as part of a small team as well as independently and be able follow instructions
- Must be happy to work unsociable hours during the peak survey season in exchange for time off during the day
- Ideally would hold a bat survey licence (preferably Class II), or be very close to obtaining one, and have experience carrying out bat survey work including exit/re-entry surveys and activity transects
- Have experience in one or more other protected species surveys for example reptile surveys, Dormouse surveys
- Have experience in carrying out Extended Phase One/UK Habitat surveys and Preliminary Ecological Assessment
- Have ability to produce accurate field notes and professional, concise reports
- Full, clean driving licence and own car essential
- A degree or masters in a relevant subject or significant experience in this area is essential
- And, ideally would have at least an Associate level membership to CIEEM or other professional body.
Salary would be based on experience and qualifications. Start date would be near to 1st May 2019.
Location: Truro, the heart of Cornwall
Please email your CV and covering letter to [email protected] referenced Ecologist position