Ricardo Energy and Environment is a leading environment and sustainability consultancy combining water, ecology, energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
Role type: Full time, Permanent
Closing Date: 22/12/2019
We are looking for an Analyst Consultant to join our Water & Environment practice. The position will be based in our Manchester office but will support projects throughout the UK and occasionally beyond. You will support project managers across the Water & Environment practice and potentially the wider Ricardo Energy & Environment group delivering our broad portfolio of projects to public and private sector clients.
We will support you in order to develop your project management skills, leading to full project management responsibilities including achieving project budget and deadline requirements. Opportunities for technical specialism and development are available depending on the candidate.
The position will involve assisting with safe and effective implementation of environmental assessment for aquatic and/or terrestrial ecology along with the production of high-quality reports. You will also get involved in water and air quality monitoring work.
You will be expected to liaise with clients and sub-consultants and help to prepare fee proposals and author technical reports. These can include baseline reports, Preliminary Ecological Appraisals, Species Reports, Ecological Impact Assessment, Water Framework Directive assessment, Habitats Regulation Assessments and ecological input to Environmental Statements. You will be guided and supported by our national Director for Infrastructure and Ecology as well as their local ecology Team Leader.
As part of the role within the Ecology team you will provide support on terrestrial and aquatic ecology surveys and assessment, and have responsibility for the delivery of project tasks to satisfy client requirements. As part of the role you will work closely with the Water team. You will lead tasks and co-ordinate a wide range of studies, interact with clients and assist in the development of follow-on work and new opportunities as they arise. Specific duties will include:
- Working as part of the Ecology team to deliver a range of Planning and Environmental projects. This will include working alongside other disciplines as part of multi-disciplinary teams;
- Writing and reviewing deliverables to a very high standard.;
- Prepared to work on non-core planning activities such as site work to develop skills and support other parts of the business;
- Identifying potential health and safety hazards of specific projects and demonstrating a commitment to your own safety and that of those around you;
- Communicating and liaising effectively with colleagues;
- Where appropriate, responsibility for the financial monitoring of projects, document control, progress reporting and other project management tasks.
Key competencies and experience:
- A first degree in a relevant subject, e.g. ecology, water science or environmental science, and ideally a relevant postgraduate qualification.
- Previous experience of consultancy work.
- Graduate or Associate membership of CIEEM.
- Experience of Water Framework Directive assessment.
- A broad understanding of environmental policy.
- Experience in ecological impact assessment.
- Experience of planning and conducting ecological surveys, including aquatic surveys, PEA/Phase 1 habitat survey and protected species surveys is desirable.
- Good report writing skills, especially ecological survey reports and assessments.
- A good understanding of wildlife legislation, the planning process, EIA and, ideally Habitats Regulations Assessment.
- A full UK driver’s license is essential.
Skills and behaviours:
You must be a self-starter, comfortable working in a small and very busy team. Excellent team working skills are therefore essential, together with strong communication skills, sound understanding of ecological impact assessment and close attention to detail skills.
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo E&E .
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo-E&E is an equal opportunities employer.