Salary: Circa £40k pa, depending on qualifications and experience
agb Environmental Ltd offers a wide range of environmental and engineering services including geo-environmental, geotechnical, ecology, arboriculture, forestry, waste and flood risk.
agb knows our people are our greatest asset and we strive to be a considerate employer. We are committed to our staff and their personal growth and fully support CPD in ecology skills and personal development.
We have grown significantly and consistently over the past ten years, and are now looking to recruit a Principal Ecologist to join our Ecology Team. We welcome applications from Senior Ecologists wishing to step up and also experienced Principals looking for an Associate Role.
Based from our offices near Cambridge we serve East Anglia, the south and east of England, the east Midlands and London. Projects are varied and technically interesting, ranging from barn conversions to strategic developments, private developers to local authorities including affordable housing and schools.
The Role of Principal Ecologist
We are currently seeking a committed Principal Ecologist, to take a leading role in the Ecology department, with responsibilities for management, client liaison, surveying and reporting (Phase 1, protected species, EIA, BREEAM/CfSH, BNG), training team members, licence applications, and managing projects to budget and deadlines.
At this level you are expected to lead on technical aspects of projects, manage clients and deal with enquiries as they arise. You will have the support of the existing team including a Principal Ecologist, Ecologists and Assistant Ecologist and various project, business development and administrative staff.
You should have a successful record in managing and delivering high quality technical work, ideally within an environment of fast moving projects. You will have experience in undertaking extended Phase 1 habitat and protected species surveys on development sites. You must have a bat licence (any level), and at least one other protected species licence. You must be a full member of CIEEM.
Your experience should be rounded with project and task management, including the preparation of proposals, client liaison, team management and budget management.
Key Skills and Experience:
- A good first degree in a biology/ecology-related subject, and ideally an MSc or higher degree.
- Full Member of CIEEM.
- NE Survey licence for bats and at least one other protected species.
- Ideally a minimum of five years’ experience within a consultancy business.
- Highly IT literate, particularly with MS Office packages and GIS/mapping tools.
- Full UK driving licence.
- Detail orientated with clear and concise writing style.
- Motivated to work independently, and as part of a team.
- Experience of managing projects, and training junior ecologists.
- Working knowledge of UK wildlife legislation and planning policies.
- Experience of the EIA/AA process, licence-applications and BREEAM/CfSH assessments.
Key attributes of the successful applicant:
- Ability to liaise and communicate effectively with clients, third parties (NE, LPAs) and colleagues.
- Commercial awareness and highly organised.
- Management and business development activities.
- Flexible attitude to work, to meet deadlines and to accommodate evening and overnight work associated with ecology surveys.
The package for the role:
- Flexible/Home working.
- Use of company vehicles for work purposes.
- Mobile phone, laptop computer.
- Paid membership of one professional body.
- Company commitment to CPD for all team members.
agb Environmental is a committed Equal Opportunities employer. If you have specific workplace needs do not hesitate to talk this through with us.
For an informal discussion about the role, please contact Rachel Hickey on email@example.com or 01223 776 117.
To apply for this position, please send your CV, with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No agencies please.
Closing Date: 5pm Friday 5th November 2021.