You will be responsible for providing ecological and biodiversity inputs to a range of projects within an environmental team, working closely with other disciplines to ensure ecological objectives for projects are delivered successfully, within budget and to programme.
The tasks will include:
- Coordinating and undertaking biodiversity reviews and assessments as part of EIAs and due diligence
- Designing survey/monitoring methods, liaising with and coordinating local consultants, preparing biodiversity management/action/offset plans etc
- There will be a need to travel overseas occasionally and for short periods.
- Degree in ecology, biology, zoology, botany or directly related subject (minimum of 2.1 classification)
- Good understanding of main international policy and lender requirements on biodiversity and nature conservation
- Familiarity with biodiversity survey/monitoring methods and the EIA process
- Experience in undertaking biodiversity assessments for projects funded by International Financial Institutions
- Membership of one professional organisation
- Full, clean driving licence and willingness to travel and undertake fieldwork in the UK and internationally
- Strong report writing skills, attention to detail and ability to write concise reports in English
- Ability to work independently, take the initiative, make robust, defensible decisions and work to tight deadlines to meet client needs
- Basic GIS skills
- Masters degree in one of the disciplines mentioned above, or in biodiversity conservation
- Specialism in mammals (bats, primates, large carnivores) or birds
- Experience in undertaking ecological assessments in the UK, including familiarity with the CIEEM Guidance on Ecological Impact Assessment
- Experience in undertaking due diligence to international finance institutions’ standards
- Experience in critical habitat assessments, biodiversity offsetting
- Familiarity with ecosystem services assessments
- Work experience in Asia, Africa and/or Latin America
- Proficient in French and/or Spanish
- Experience in mapping habitats using GIS
Mott MacDonald’s Environment Division has a fantastic opportunity for a talented ecologist and biodiversity consultant with international experience to join its team in the UK (location is flexible). The position will be permanent, subject to successful completion of a six-month probationary period. There is excellent scope for career development in our environmental business, either in the UK or abroad.
Given the ongoing pandemic situation, the role will initially include a combination of site and home-based work. Office-based work can be undertaken if necessary, although our office capacity is limited currently, as a means of ensuring social distancing. A return to office life is anticipated, although we are committed to allowing total flexibility to individuals to balance this with home working in the future’
Why join Mott MacDonald?
We are an employee owned company and are small enough to have a family feel but large enough to work on some of the largest UK and international projects. We pay our ecologists in line with their engineering colleagues and able to earn performance-based bonuses throughout the year. Our projects are interesting, technically challenging and we excel in offering innovative solutions. Our ecology UK-based teams are highly experienced in their fields and are proactive when working together imparting knowledge. We are a well-respected company with strong values. We have a strong sports and social team who have a number of events throughout the year which is fully inclusive as well as UK wide events such as sports day, skiing trips and environment forums.
Equality, diversity and inclusion:
Equality, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) are at the heart of our organisation. We promote equal opportunities and have several initiatives to create an inclusive workplace culture; Our dedicated inclusive recruitment page provides more information on our efforts and recognitions.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at email@example.com and we will talk to you about how we can assist.
At Mott MacDonald, we support our staff to create work-life balance which works for them and welcome candidates looking for career flexibility. We are open to discussing flexible working at interview stage.
We can offer:
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Competitive annual leave and the option to purchase additional annual leave
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Life insurance
- Enhanced parental leave
- Annual company performance bonus scheme – Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits scheme to suit you, including cycle to work & Interest free season ticket loans etc.
For more information about our Environment sector click here
For more information about our Water sector click here