- Reviewing development/regional plans and provision of advice in relation to the protection and management of biodiversity.
- Advising clients on the implementation of best practice (such as the International Finance Corporation (IFC) Performance Standards regarding biodiversity), ensuring it is woven into the project’s design from strategic-level masterplans, to asset design reviews
- Defining ecological survey requirements, managing sub-consultants to carry out surveys, and reviewing and interpreting survey reports
- Project management, including resource planning, managing budgets, and contribution to work winning, including the development of proposals
- Working on UK projects, including Biodiversity Net Gain and nature-based solutions for climate change..
We Are Looking For:
- An experienced ecologist / environmental consultant with ecology-related experience.
- Working knowledge of international best practice principles, such as the IFC’s Performance Standards (particularly in relation to biodiversity)
- Experience of providing ecological input into Environmental Impact Assessments
- Experience in a client facing role, providing advice direct to clients
- Knowledge of UK protected species issues and wildlife legislation
- Full membership of CIEEM or working towards this
The Ecology Team works as a small, committed team across a diverse range of projects, providing input into strategic/regional plans, development options analyses, masterplans, E(S)IAs, mitigation and offsetting. We often work directly with clients to enable them to proactively manage biodiversity at every stage of the planning process.
The goal is to help solve complex environmental issues in a collaborative and practical way, often calling on species experts to ensure that the best practicable solutions are put forward that are based on sound scientific advice. There is a commitment to implementing best practice across all of our projects, including embedding guidance such as IFC Performance Standards into our work, as well as initiatives such as Biodiversity Net Gain and climate change resilience.
Buro Happold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals that reflects the countries in which we operate. In order to truly benefit from this diversity we must create an environment in which employees feel they can be themselves. Buro Happold actively promotes inclusivity across the practice to enable every individual to reach their full potential, feeling included is good for all of us. This begins with a fair and inclusive recruitment process which focuses on your skills, competencies and experiences in relation to the role. We recognise and are committed to change the lack of representation of minority groups in our industry, and particularly welcome applications from Black, Asian and minority ethnic individuals, disabled people and women across all our offices. We understand that through collaboration, diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.