- Job: Senior Ecologist
- Location: Oxfordshire
- Salary: Negotiable (Starting at £29,000)
Ecology by Design is currently looking to recruit a Senior Ecologist to join our team.
Ecology by Design was setup in January 2015 and we have had consistent growth ever since. We strive to employ the best and brightest and reward hard work and dedication. We provide ecology consultancy services to a wide range of clients. We pride ourselves in technical excellence and providing an innovative, pragmatic, client friendly service. This is demonstrated by being nominated for the 2021 CIEEM best small consultancy. Due to our success, we have an excellent opportunity for a senior ecologist to join our team.
We are a young business and we seek people who are keen to work in ecology, strive for excellence and are excited by being part of a young business. This role would be perfect for someone wanting to take the next step on the career ladder and challenge themselves in a supportive environment.
We work across the UK with the majority of our projects across the Home Counties, South and Midlands.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Genuine and demonstrable enthusiasm for ecology and the environment;
- Experience of phase 1 habitat surveys/ UK Habs and protected species surveys;
- Survey licence for at least one protected species e.g. bats;
- Ability to lead field teams and manage projects;
- Willingness to be flexible as required by a new business;
- Excellent report writing skills;
- Motivated to work both independently and as part of a team, often in remote locations and sometimes during unsociable hours;
- Good communication skills both with colleagues, clients and third parties;
- Experience of writing or securing European Protected Species Mitigation licences (EPSM) for at least one protected species;
- Comfortable designing surveys and quoting for work;
- Full driving licence and use of a car; and
- The project-based nature of our work means the candidate must be wiling to undertake travel and work away from home with overnight stays.
- Advanced skills in one or more specialist ecological area e.g. bats;
- Member of CIEEM (or eligible if not currently held);
- Degree or equivalent in an ecology related discipline;
- Experience of using QGIS or ArcGIS;
- Experience of line managing and mentoring junior members of staff;
- Comfortable generating new work and networking; and
- Secured European Protected Species Mitigation (EPSM) licences for protected species e.g. great crested newt or bats.
- Working for Ecology by Design
- Apple computer and IPhone;
- Competitive salary;
- Professional memberships paid for;
- Unlimited in-house and external training budget;
- Colleague nominated bonus scheme;
- Generous pension;
- Unlimited annual leave and flexible approach to work time, balancing a healthy work life balance.
- New perks added frequently, reflecting being part of an exciting and innovative young business.
The candidate must live within commuting distance to Chalgrove, Oxfordshire or be willing to relocate. However many of our staff mix working from home and the office on a flexible basis.
Being part of a young company offers excellent opportunities for rapid career progression.
In the first instance please send your CV and covering letter to the email above including the location you are based and salary expectation.
Closing date for applications is 31st October 2021. If you have not heard from us by Friday 19th November, please assume that your application has not been successful. We may request further information before inviting prospective candidates for interview.