An excellent opportunity has arisen for a senior ecologist to join our team in Manchester.
You will be working as a senior member of the national ecology team within the Capita Environment Team with responsibility for day-to-day project and team management and providing senior level ecological expertise. The Senior Ecologist’s role is instrumental in achieving the timely, efficient and thorough completion of projects and development of the ecology business.
The senior ecologist Carries out ecological surveys and lead surveys (as appropriate according to personal ecological specialisms.
What you’ll be doing:
- Demonstrable ability to undertake ecological surveys, including: Phase 1 Habitat surveys, site assessments for protected species, initial inspections for bats and follow-up surveys of activity, and great crested newt surveys using standard techniques as a minimum.
- Excellent report writing skills including production of accurate, thorough and comprehensive reports written to format and in plain English.
- Demonstrable ability to manage projects, including setting and meeting deadlines and resourcing own work as well as the ecology team.
- People management skills including proven ability to manage ecologists and junior staff to produce a happy, cohesive team while efficiently resourcing work.
- A range of organizational skills including successfully acting as a lead contact and manager for multiple projects.
- Tenacity to chase for required information from colleagues and clients, outputs from staff to meet deadlines and deal with poor performance to ensure team’s goals are met
What we’re looking for:
- Understanding of and experience in Phase 1 Habitat, NVC and other botanical surveys.
- Experience of protected species surveys and holder of relevant licenses (particularly Class 2 bat and/or great crested newt licenses).
- Experience of designing mitigation schemes.
- Demonstrable knowledge of current wildlife and conservation legislation.
- Knowledge and awareness of planning process and policy.
- Experience of working within an ecological consultancy or similar field.
- Competent use of packages such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Full current driving license.
- Minimum of five year’s relevant experience.
- Experience of using GIS software for ecological purposes.
- Experience of bat sound analysis software such as Anabat Insight.
- Experience of BREEAM Land Use & Ecology Assessments.