This unique role provides the opportunity to shape outcomes in a wide variety of diverse and interesting projects, integrating biodiversity and green infrastructure into project planning and design.
We are looking for a Senior Ecologist to join our small and expanding team. In this role, you will be able to use your knowledge and expertise to have a key influence on the outcomes of a wide variety of diverse and interesting projects across the UK and overseas – from urban renewal and regeneration schemes to international strategic environmental planning projects.
This role provides an opportunity to think laterally and to integrate biodiversity into project planning and design across all of our projects. You will not be required to undertake surveys outside of normal office hours; instead, you will be responsible for carrying out ecological walkover surveys, liaising with clients, organising protected species surveys with a range of our trusted sub-consultants, preparing ecology reports, and working within a multi-disciplinary team to establish opportunities for ecological enhancements and multi-functional green and blue infrastructure.
Internationally, we cover a lot of work on a city-wide and regional scale, providing strategic advice to clients on minimising impacts (particularly in coastal and marine environments) and working to best international practice standards for environmental sustainability.
- Reviewing technical data and carrying out ecological walkovers to identify project constraints;
- Advising clients on risks and opportunities;
- Managing sub-consultants and organising surveys;
- Preparing high quality reports to CIEEM guidelines;
- Project and fee management;
- Attending workshops and sharing ideas with the design teams and clients;
- Helping to improve best-practice standards and knowledge across the industry.
The role will be based in Leeds, with occasional travel in the UK and potentially overseas.
- Ability to synthesize technical data and provide sound advice to clients;
- Good knowledge of protected species issues and wildlife legislation and guidance;
- Able to work alone (including making day-to-day decisions) and as part of a team;
- Excellent report writing skills and attention to detail;
- Possess initiative and a positive attitude;
- Ability to carry out ecological walkover surveys;
- Able to think laterally to facilitate a beneficial outcome for biodiversity through planning and design;
- Be committed to best practice across all of our projects.
Qualifications & Experience
Demonstrable experience delivering ecological consultancy work, with a relevant degree, and Full membership of CIEEM.
BuroHappold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals that reflects the countries in which we operate. In order to truly benefit from this diversity we must create an environment in which employees feel they can be themselves. BuroHappold actively promotes inclusivity across the practice to enable every individual to reach their full potential, feeling included is good for all of us. This begins with a fair and inclusive recruitment process which focuses on your skills, competencies and experiences in relation to the role. We understand that through collaboration, diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.