Atkins Ecology is looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Senior Ecologist to join our current ecology team in our Epsom or London offices.
Atkins is one of the world’s leading design, engineering and project management consultancies. We work on challenging and exciting projects across a range of market sectors including transportation, cities, water, energy and defence. Our services include ecological surveys, impact assessment, ecology design, clerk-of-works, and licensing.
Atkins Ecology aim to be at the forefront of innovation and technological advances, and actively encourage staff to contribute and develop new ideas. Our team and projects have won awards and commendations for biodiversity enhancements, innovation and knowledge sharing, including winning the CIEEM 2018 Large-Scale Consultancy of the Year Award.
Atkins currently has over 80 ecologists based in offices around the UK. We operate across the UK and internationally, and are organised into regional practices within which staff collaborate on projects with colleagues from other environmental and engineering disciplines.
The successful candidate will join our London & South-East Ecology Practice, and can be based either in our Epsom or London offices.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
• Build client relationships and generate opportunities;
• Recruit new staff where needed;
• Mentor junior colleagues;
• Manage and lead the ecological input to a varied range of projects across different sectors;
• Lead, plan and co-ordinate field surveys and plan and co-ordinate ecological mitigation works;
• Undertake reporting and ecological impact assessments;
• Prepare bids and help win work for the team; and
• Collaborate with our multi-disciplinary teams within the region.
• A degree in a relevant discipline.
• Membership of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM).
• Chartered Ecologist or Chartered Environmentalist status would be an advantage (if not, we would expect you to be keen to work towards Chartered status); and
• A full valid UK/EEC driving licence.
The following criteria are essential for the role:
• Strong experience in ecological consultancy;
• Capable at undertaking Preliminary Ecological Appraisal, Ecological Impact Assessment, protected species development licence applications and implementation of mitigation on site;
• Demonstrable specialist ecological knowledge, such as botanical survey skills and/or a survey skills for one or more protected species (including appropriate licenses);
• Experience of project co-ordination, production of bids and management of budgets;
• Experience managing / mentoring junior colleagues; and
• Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
Training and Development
Atkins is committed to developing the knowledge and skills of our ecologists. As well as providing a competitive training budget, Atkins also has an in-house professional development programme. The successful candidate will be able to benefit from tailored mentoring and support towards achieving their career goals, such as Chartership and beyond.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.