To meet our growing project workload we are looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Senior Ecologist to be based in our Birmingham team.
Environment & Geoscience
Atkins Ecology aims to be at the forefront of innovation and technological advances, and actively encourage staff to contribute and develop new ideas. Our team and projects have won awards and commendations for biodiversity enhancements, innovation and knowledge sharing, including winning the CIEEM 2018 Large-Scale Consultancy of the Year Award, highly commended in 2019 and shortlisted as a finalist in 2020.
What you will be doing
- Ecological input to a varied range of projects across different sectors;
- Leading, planning and co-ordinating field surveys, analysing and interpreting survey results;
- Working with design teams and planning and co-ordinating ecological mitigation works;
- Undertaking reporting of Preliminary Ecological Assessments and Ecological Impact Assessments;
- Preparing protected species licence applications;
- Managing work enquiries, preparing bids and building client relationships;
- Leading on large and complex projects and managing project budgets; and
- Collaborating with our multi-disciplinary teams within the region.
- Ideally, you would have the following qualifications and/or attributes:
- A degree in ecology or closely related field;
- Membership of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM);
- Good working knowledge of UK and EU Wildlife Legislation, planning policies, licensing requirements and best practice survey techniques;
- Be capable at undertaking survey and reporting for Preliminary Ecological Appraisal, Ecological Impact Assessment;
- Experience of preparing protected species licence applications;
- Experience in implementation of ecological mitigation on site;
- Demonstrable specialist ecological knowledge, such as botanical survey skills and/or survey skills for one or more protected species;
- Excellent communication skills; and
- A full valid UK/EEC driving licence.
What we offer
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
In addition to competitive core benefits, Atkins operates a flexible benefits programme which includes the ability to buy up to 15 days of extra holiday each year, a cycle to work scheme and a 24/7 confidential Employee Assistance Programme, private health care, amongst many other options.
Atkins is committed to developing the knowledge and skills of our ecologists. As well as providing a training budget, the successful candidate will benefit from tailored mentoring and support towards achieving their career goals, such as Chartership and beyond.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual development process. We support staff in achieving and maintaining membership of relevant institutions. You will also be part of our global Technical Networks, which provide a flow of technically orientated information and ideas through the company. For this role, you will be expected to participate in our water resources planning technical network to support your learning.
Atkins will support you in your ongoing professional development, whether with the ICE, CIWEM or others. This includes paying your annual membership and providing access to training.
Rewards and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary that is regularly tested against other consultants with a default 25-days leave each year plus bank holidays and options to buy some or sell of that leave.
To support and safeguard your physical and mental wellbeing we provide an employee assistance programme offering advice and support in times of need. Our offices run their own sports and social clubs providing a wide range of activities. You will also have access to our Flexible Benefits, where you can opt in to a wide range of benefits to complement your work/life balance: such as medical insurance, gym membership, the cycle-to-work scheme, child care vouchers, charitable giving, additional pension contributions etc.
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.