As part of the Company’s Environmental Consultancy, the Ecology team is experiencing growth and increased client demand and as such they are now seeking to appoint an experienced and qualified Senior Ecologist to join the team.
The Senior Ecologist will provide ecological consultancy to existing and new projects and provision of ecological services to the Group. In addition to this, the successful candidate will be expected to provide consultancy expertise for the disciplines of protected species and terrestrial ecology.
Employed on a full-time basis, the Senior Ecologist will be expected to satisfy overtime requirements and due to the nature of the duties of this post will be required to occasionally stay away from home overnight.
Key tasks and accountabilities associated with the post are as follows:
- Delivery of protected species surveys, habitat surveys and preliminary ecological appraisals (PEAs) with associated reports, including mapping.
- Co-ordinate and undertake ecological clerk of works (ECoW).
- Reactive and respond to environmental incidents, complete the fieldwork necessary to enable a professional ecological impact assessment to be completed with report writing.
- Provide advice to the wider Group and clients on potential ecological impacts on emergency and / or planned works and specialist input within multi-disciplinary teams.
- Input to the delivery of Water & Ecology reports, including writing and review, monitoring strategies and protocols.
- Mentoring staff, supporting their development of fieldwork techniques, including identification in relevant disciplines, analytical and written skills. Potential for line management responsibilities.
- Support team performance by sharing knowledge and best practices at all levels.
- Assist business development, marketing, quotations, and tender writing.
- Help maintain and develop client relationships through effective project management and provision of excellent customer service.
- Project manage their own workloads to ensure a successful and profitable delivery.
- Support the wider Water & Ecology team with general project delivery
- Provision of accurate and timely information to line management.
This list is not exhaustive, and the successful candidate can expect to undertake any other duties for which they are qualified and able to undertake.
Senior Ecologist requirements:
- Minimum 5 years of experience in ecological consultancy, with a particular emphasis on the protected species and the terrestrial environment.
- A thorough understanding and experience of the industry standard survey techniques (including protected species and Phase 1 habitat).
- Hold at least one protected species licence.
- Membership of an environmental professional body.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation its implementation.
- Good personal time management, communication skills with internal and external clients and team members locally and nationally.
- Willingness to learn new skills and to be flexible in terms of travelling and working hours as projects can be distributed across the UK.
- Qualified to degree level in an environmental subject and have substantive experience in an ecology role.
- Higher degree in ecology or related discipline would be an advantage.
- Previous commercial and/or regulatory experience would be desirable.
- Comfortable with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and GIS, and wider experience of scheduling / programming using specialist computer programs where appropriate would be an advantage.
- Possession of a full, clean UK driving licence and Right to Work in the UK.