AECOM is looking to appoint a Principal Ecologist in their Nottingham office to support our current project workload and the future growth of our business. This Principal Ecologist will assist and lead in the delivery of challenging technical projects throughout the UK and increasingly overseas in terrestrial, freshwater and marine environments, as well as manage some projects, staff and business development.
Our UK Ecology Team comprises over 150 ecologists based across the UK and covers terrestrial, freshwater and marine habitats. With a global revenue of over $19 billion, and nearly 100,000 employees worldwide, AECOM is a premier fully integrated infrastructure and support services firm, incorporating one of the leading environmental consultancy teams in the UK. We provide our clients with the full range of ecological services including specialist habitat and species surveys, impact assessment, advice on biodiversity mitigation, offsetting and enhancement, and management planning for biodiversity. Our projects include high profile major transport and other infrastructure, conventional and renewable power development as well as other industrial, commercial and residential development projects.
- Working as part of the existing network of AECOM ecologists within the UK and Ireland;
- Major projects (ecology) delivery and leadership;
- A strong presence in representing AECOM externally through projects, client management, publications and presentations;
- Assisting in the winning, delivery and management of ecological/EIA projects;
- Responsibility for technical and financial performance of ecological projects;
- Writing and reviewing Environmental Statement (ES) chapters and other ecological assessments;
- Providing technical review of ecological reports and other deliverables as required;
- Managing and mentoring staff;
- Liaising with clients, project managers and other project stakeholders including statutory bodies;
- Undertaking other tasks which add value to the development of the ecology team or support wider environmental business goals, as required.
- AECOM offers the opportunity to work on high profile, challenging and innovative projects, alongside a highly competitive benefits package and as part of a forward-thinking and successful national Ecology Team
- Proactive and careful approach to Health and Safety, including first aid training certificate;
- Technical and professional proficiency with a demonstrable history of winning and delivering ecology projects to a high standard, on time and within budgets;
- Experience of ecological impact assessment, design and/or construction management on major infrastructure projects in the UK.
- Excellent knowledge of UK and EC wildlife legislation and policy, as well as Ecological Impact Assessment (EcIA);
- Experience of Phase 1 Habitat and protected species surveys and licensing;
- Holder of relevant protected species survey licences, and preferably also mitigation licences;
- Strong project management skills and experience (including technical, financial and quality aspects)
- Full Member of CIEEM (or eligible to meet relevant criteria),or other relevant professional body;
- Professional, organised and thorough approach to work which demonstrates an attention to detail;
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, in particular, the ability to write concise technical reports;
- Proven ability to work closely and collaboratively with colleagues and clients, as well as to manage own time;
- Familiarity with project management procedures and protocols, including the checking and approval of proposals and project outputs and budget management;
- Experience in line management as well as technical leadership of teams of ecologists on major projects
- Electronic data capture, analysis and presentation;
- Willing to travel to offices and sites within the UK and potentially internationally when required by work demand;
- Adaptable and flexible approach to work to meet peaks in demands (as all roles are likely to involve occasional longer/and or unsociable hours and a degree of working away from home for days/ weeks at a time);
- A track record in, or aspirations for, continuing professional development and supporting the development / management of junior ecologists.
- Recognised degree in a biological, science or related discipline – a relevant post-graduate qualification in the one of these would be advantageous;
- Chartered with a relevant professional accreditation / registration body;
- Licensed to drive a vehicle in the UK;
- Formal project management qualifications.
Your benefits will include:
Helping our employees achieve a healthy work-life balance is important to us. If you join AECOM, as well as receiving a competitive salary, you’ll also have the opportunity to explore flexible working arrangements. Core benefits include 25 days’ annual leave, company pension scheme, private medical insurance, life assurance and one paid annual professional institution membership fee. You can also choose from a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
You’ll also be able to give back to communities with up to two paid CSR days each year. Through our charity, The AECOM Foundation, you can volunteer to support children in developing countries. And if you’re a member of the Reserve Forces you’ll receive an additional 15 days paid leave for training commitments.
What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is pioneering the future . Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come. We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions inclusion, diversity and overall employee well-being through programs supported by company leadership. Our core values define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only delivering a better world , but working to “make amazing happen” in each neighborhood, community and city we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
Job Category Ecology
Business Line Environment
Business Group Design and Consulting Services Group (DCS)
Country United Kingdom
Position Status Full-Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 212642BR
Clearance Required No
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.